New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako barrel question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to replace a barrel off a stainless Sako 75 magnum action. I have a line off a factory 7 rem mag barrel but the guy is unsure of which sako it came off from.

It is a stainless barrel with a 1-16 thread on the tenon. The tenon is 0.990" in diameter and 0.985" in length.

Also, what is involved in swapping in a factory barrel?

When did Sako first start using stainless barrel? Would this fit my 75?

Clarified that 1:16 is the thread not the barrel twist.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't recall any Sako stainless barrels prior to the Model 75 series, but there may have been a few in the SML-series (S-491, M-591, L691). Maybe someone who has one can chime in.

However, I can't feature Sako ever having made a 7mm barrel with a 1-16" twist, the exception to that possibly being a barrel for the little 7x33 Sako cartridge, guns for which haven't been made for over a half-century.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a stainless barrel with a 1-16 twist

sure can't believe a 7mag barrel is a 1-16

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

However, I can't feature Sako ever having made a 7mm barrel with a 1-16" twist, the exception to that possibly being a barrel for the little 7x33 Sako cartridge, guns for which haven't been made for over a half-century.

And there sure weren't any commercially marketed original Sako 7x33 L-42 or L-46 barrels in stainless steel that I'm aware of. I agree with Stoney; I doubt very much they ever made a 7mm Mag stainless steel barrel with a 1-in-16" twist.

Maybe 1 in-9", 1-in-10" or 1-in-12", but not 1-in-16" would be my bet...and even 1-in-12" would be a slower twist than I'd want for most long 7 m/m bullets.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry the twist rate was for the barrel tenon thread not the the bullet twist rate.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuk is correct. NO S.S. barrels were ever made in the factory for the 7X33. All were C.M.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were some stainless barreled fiberclass rifles and I have also seen a pre 75 308 (can't remember the model name but came after the A series and had the bigger diameter bolt) with factory stainless barrel.

They seem more common in the Scandanavian countries.