New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stinless or blued barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if their was a atvantage to a carbon steel barrel or stinless. Does one shoot better than the other? Does one seam to last longer than the other? Give me the + & - if their are any.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stainless "should" last longer, due to it being able to take the heat of firing better. The throat won't wash out as quick.

As for accuracy, that's a toss-up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
what ever looks good to you. if you are having a rebarrel then you have to consider bluing as a cost on top of barrel price. not stainless. though stainless costs more up front.
if you take care of them i dont think it will be anymore one way or the other........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about rebarreling of my CZ 550 and I would like to use stainless barrel, is there any way how to make it black (chemical way)? I prefer black colour of it because I use it for hunting but I want to have rifle more resistant to wet weather.

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use only bead blasted stainless barrels and have never had any game animal spook from seeing the gun.This includes sheep and goats which have very good eyesight.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I second the stainless with a beadblast. I have 3 stainless and i just sent the third for a beadblasted matte finish. I like stainless cause it takes moisture better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M.Fox Jancik:
I am thinking about rebarreling of my CZ 550 and I would like to use stainless barrel, is there any way how to make it black (chemical way)? I prefer black colour of it because I use it for hunting but I want to have rifle more resistant to wet weather.

Stainless steel barrels and actions with a matte silver finish are very popular in the USA. American hunters in the 50 states kill probably tens of thousands of deer every year at ranges from 30 to 300 meters, and a high percentage of those kills are with stainless steel rifles. The deer didn't know the difference.

I would leave your barrel alone and not worry about it. Besides, you won't be like most everyone else in Europe. [Wink]

[ 01-20-2003, 04:34: Message edited by: ksduckhunter ]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells an aerosol matte black spray paint that adheres well to bead blasted SS. You don't even need to bake it in an oven. I did one 5 years ago and it's held up real well.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M.Fox Jancik
posted Hide Post
ksduckhunter,

thank you for info, black is the most popular finish here in europe and quite conservative hunters here in europe consider it the best and all the stainless or chrome finishes is quite comic for them so that is why I wanted to make it black.

Posts: 64 | Location: Zlin, Moravia, Czech Republic, Europe | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote