New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CIP dimensions for 577 caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
doesn�t anybody know something about this ?

I was talking with Gerard Schultz from GS, and he said that he would make my ordered FN solid at .582" because that was according to the CIP-specs. I wondered about this because I had never before heard that actual bore (groove) size in 577 cal was .582". I have always read that it was .585".
I then took contact with the maker of the barrel to my new 577 Tyrannosaur rifle, Arms Restaurations Service/Border Barrels in Scotland. They (Dr. Geoffrey Kolbe) told me they would make the barrel with a groovewidth of .585"-.586" because that was the specifications given by Holland & Holland. He also told me that the CIP dimensions were wrong.

Anybody who knows what is right ??

( I have measure Barnes and Woodleigh 577 bullets to .5835" and A-Square monolithics/Dead Toughs to .585" - If the are shot in a .582" bore I quess it migth be unsafe??!!? )

Posts: 186 | Location: 9750 Honningsvaag, Norway | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ulrik H, British Rules of Proof showed the .577 N.E. 3"
with a .584 dia bullet. .001 to .002 " over bullet size for barrel groove diameter is not unusual, MY CIP for same ctg.
shows bullet diameter of.58385 (14.83 m/m). The chamber throat dimension is incomplete but shows bore .566, but beginning of throat at .5846. I'd go with Dr. Kolbe.

Posts: 199 | Location: Kalispell MT. | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CIP sizes refers to bullets.H&H made groove dia about 2
thousands over on their barrels.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Ulrik H

Could you give the the address to Arms restoration service? I lost the notebook with all my addresses a while ago. One heck of task getting them all again....
Send a PM or e-maill.

Kolbe knows what he's doing. I had 5 border barrels and all been fantastic.

/ JOHAN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same deal with the .404 jeff

we have .421 & .423 ?????

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote