New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a little dreaming?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well guys, it sometimes gets boring around here. I notice that some of the colorful members have been run off, some of the experienced builders are infrequent nowadays.

I think we need a good "what if" thread. So how is this:

You have:
1. VZ24 Mauser, all matching, tight
2. $3000 US

I think that is enough to have a fine custom built, at the same time requiring some sacrifice or work on your own. I thought that would make it more interesting, we are all going to have different price points from different gunsmiths. This will also make it so that we see who prioritizes what (i.e. spend 1500 on the action or 800 on a barrel but less on stock work etc.)

It would I think be beneficial if somebody knew pricing that some of the good smiths charge for different items could post that. i.e. Gary Goudy's charge for checkering (I'm thinking the Mystic Maze pattern from the Kennedy book), price for new Orbendorf style handle, full octagon barrel price from Stratton.

I hope this one gets us all dreaming about beautiful rifles. Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red

Okay, I will start it off. First thing I would do would be to send it to Tom Burgess for one of his Oberndorf style bolt handles. I believe he charges $150 to make and weld one on.

Then, I would cough up $85 for one of Blackburn's triggers.

Let somebody else take over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd get going on this myself but I don't know the costs for different things. But since you already have done two steps that I would do then I'll add this:

Half Moon barrel in 6.5mm I think 175
Blackburn round triggerguard and floorplate what's that, 250?

Now I need the cost to surface grind and install double square bridges.

Anybody else can do their whole own dream here, no need to follow us just because we are doing it right. Big Grin

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I did this awhile back. Lots of fun and it only took 3 1/2 years animal

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
As I see it you are into it over half and the metal work isn't finished. Looks like we would have to do the stock work ourself.This looks like fun though.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Dubell: Surface grind & polish action 125.00

Double square bridge welded 350.00-450.00

Would need heat treated after welding. Pacific Metallurgical 100.00

Jim can solder and screw square bridge looking bases if preferred.Not sure if they would be less & other heat treat cost or not.

But with welded you would have a real double square brtdge.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red

Try $300 unpolished for the Blackburn guard. $350 polished. Thats for the regular one. If you want the round one designed by Mr. Fisher I think that one is at least $400.00.

The Half Moon Barrel is correct if you can get Baiar to make you one Big Grin

Might as well get it made oversize and have Mr. Stratton do his octagon magic on it and install and chamber it as well. I don't know how much that costs but I bet its close to $500 or more (but a bargain considering the quality of the work)

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, no, no....
Ya have to start with a M1909 Peruvian Mauser with the longer receiver ring marked "Mauser Original"
with a bolt handle that does not require a cut in the stock. Have to keep it an iron sight rifle so you can see the crest. Design and build a bolt stop or cocking piece receiver sight.
Don't wake me up.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IRELOAD

Tell you what, why don't you donate that Peruvian to me and Red and we won't wake you up until its done!!!

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim can solder and screw square bridge looking bases if preferred.Not sure if they would be less & other heat treat cost or not.

It is a little less to have them crafted as mounts/bases

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beg, borrow or steal a stock pattern.

Watch the blank auction sites--most notably Chiron--for a few months to find a perfectly laid out quarter sawn blank, warm red to medium honey with strong mineral streaking. That you can afford.

flaco

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
What, no engraving? Frowner

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scrollcutter:
What, no engraving? Frowner

You don't have a web site with a price list, do you? We have a budget.

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
No, I don't have a website. I don't even have a price list. Most all of my engraving is on a one off basis. So, it just depends on what a person wants...sorry.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote