Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger single action work/design flaw correction
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,

First, does anybody know why in the hell Ruger single actions were designed so the cylinder did NOT align correctly with the loading gate and have to be held in between clicks?

all right, here are my questions. apparently ruger has corrected this design flaw on new model vaqueros, but I have a blackhawk and a bisley that still have the problem. has anybody used the Power Custom kit brownells sells that replaces the springs, trigger and hammer? adds the half cock detent and supposedly lines the cylinder up correctly for loading? it is an expensive upgrade, but one of those things that would be nice to do at some point.

Second question, I have a Ruger Bisley and the trigger edge is a bit sharp for my liking, not real comfortable to shoot. any reason I can file this down to round it more and then just reblue or have it reblued? anybody else have a bisley and think the same thing?

Thanks.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
No. 1. Its not a design flaw. Because the hammer doesn't have to be manipulated to load a blackhawk the pawl isn't raised to stop the cylinder ratchet at the loading gate. The original three screw Rugers do line up. You can thank a money grubbing injury lawyer for the necessity of not manipulating the hammer to load the blackhawk revolver, BTW.

#2 the Ron powers kits are very nice and well executed, but they are not drop in. I have installed several of them. If the cylinder not lining up with the loading gate is you biggest gripe get a "free spin pawl", rather than the whole kit.

Feel free to file on your trigger, its your gun. Rather than re-blue just buff it and leave it in the white, or have it re-blued, like I said it your gun.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty

I read something about a pawl but not being familiar with the inner workings didn't know what that meant. what will the free spinning pawl do, allow it to roll the opposite direction when loading?

I think I will work on that trigger then. I figure I can work on it, then polish the rest of it and try rust bluing it. worst case scenario have to do it over again.

Thank heavens I've managed to avoid getting bit by the SASS bug, some of this gear is just so cool I'd end up across the lawyers table from an irate wife. sadly I'm inadvertently gathering some of the stuff and may eventually not have any valid reasons left for not doing it. Big Grin (I've got a marlin 45/70 now, the vaquero, a bisley, gosh, just need a big single shot and a shotgun. I wish my in-laws hadn't got me the magazine subscription about western firearms for Christmas!)

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
All right, found some more information on that. apparently the free spin you can then spin both ways, add the half cock kit as well and you spin both ways AND get clicks. cool.

talked to the wife last night, trying to find a hobby we can do together and suggested this to her. we'll see what she says later, I was going to find a local event to take her to so that she could see it for herself. i am hoping the costumes get her interested.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The costumes is what usually hook the ladies into SASS. Check out their web site www.sassnet.com.
You'll need a pistol caliber rifle or carbine to shoot too. Can't use the .45-70 for main match shooting, just side matches. Oh and you need a second pistol too. We use two psitols, one rifle or carbine (pistol cal.) and a shot gun on just about every stage.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the Marlin 1894 in 45lc. aside from the new model vaquero would the bisley and a blackhawk work as well? what works out better, the replica lever action, pump action or just plain double barrel shotguns?

would a winchester lever gun in 30/30 come in handy for any of it?

thanks for the help. wife has agreed to go check it out.

Red

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
The new model Vag are excellent guns. They were designed and built for Cowboy shooters. mixing styles of revolvers is acceptable, but you mey aget stuck shooting in a catagory you don;t necessarily wnat to be in. For example if you use a blackhawk (adjustable sights) you will have to shoot in Modern Catagory, even if your other revolver has fixed sights.

You will find that trasitioning between pistols will be faster and smoother if you use two the same. I would not recommend the Bisley model for cowboy shooting, most people that start with them end up going to the the plow handel grip. The Bisley grip is too long to hook your little finger under to control muzzle flip, and with each consecutive round the gun get lower in the hand till around the 4th or 5th shot you can't cock it because the hammer is bumping on the web of the gun hand. Been there, done that.

The Marlin is an excellant rifle. Requireing less work than a '73 to make it run fast and smooth. The .73's are also excellant rifles and when slicked up are fast and smooth. Your choice will ultimatly come down to what style you want and which one fits best.

For shotguns, start simple and get a double. The '97 is hands down the most popular shotgun, but if you're not "pump savy" they will frustrate you to no end till you get it figgured out. Start with a Biakal or a Stevens 311 variant and don't worry about it. There are many shooters that are at the top of the gan running doubles.

The 1887 is neat, no argument, but I havn't seen one in the winners circle yet. If you are interested more in the entertainment of CAS shooting vs the competative side of it, by all mean take a look at the lever shotgun, they are a ball to shoot!

If you and the wife are going to be sharing guns, get your wife her own shot gun un less you two are of very similar size. The single biggest complaint heard with in a couple that is shooting CAS is that the the gal si getting beat up by the shot gun. And its no wonder, if the shotgun is too long in the butt,(length of pull) it will be ABUSIVE. Get her a 12 guage, and use the Winchester feather lite loads. This gains an extra pound + in the gun, plus the WFL load is a 20 gage equivilent. Heavy gun + light load = happy wife.

If you want to discuss any aspect of cowboy shooting give me a ring. My number is my signature.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
isn't that cocking piece sight Rusty makes just about as pretty as a box full of border collie puppies? Mine (for my P14) will be ready in about a month, right Rusty?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote