New
Find
Notify
Tools

inletting tools
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like a short list of what kind of tools I should have on hand when my stock comes in so I can inlet it myself. I don't want to spend umpteen thousands of dollars on special equipments and logarithms as I may never do another. What kind of files, scrapers, chisels, etc. should I have? The stock is a laminate, in birch. This is a softwood, yes? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to move lots of wood with gritty sandpaper? And what about bedding... Acra-glas or Steel-bed? So much to know... so expensive to screw it up doing it the hard way.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer,
Hate to disappoint you but birch is a hardwood similiar to American Walnut. At the minimum you need a 1/4 inch flat chisel and a 1/4 inch half=round chisel and a barrel channel tool. Since I glass-bed the action I have found a Dremel tool is ideal for the rough work that is not visible. The round ball cutter does 99% of what I need to do on bedding the action and the first inch or so of the barrel. Regular AcraGlas gel is fine for most calibers, steel bed for the magnums if you are so inclined.

Good luck on your first endeavor, it may not be as pretty as you want but it can be very rewarding.........As my ol' cousin used to say about carpentry "the sign of a good carpenter is being able to hide his mistakes." Glassbedding is the stockmakers best friend although the "purist" have palpatations and tend to scream a lot if you even mention glass-bedding.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Hondo. I've been through your town a million times on my way to and from Del Rio. Any good shootin' places down there? I hate the east coast and want to move away from here to a place that offers lots of good shooting places and happy hunting grounds for g-hogs and such. Looking for a place with low humidity and mild winters.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Hondo said.

Try one of the marble/tile or formica cutting bits. It looks like a shaft with diamonds all over it. This is the fastest wood removal tool I have ever used.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote