Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith in NE Florida
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted
I am in the jacksonville florida area and am in dire need of a good smith who can do rechambering and crowning within two hours of me. Does anyone know of one?

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willy's .450:
I am in the jacksonville florida area and am in dire need of a good smith who can do rechambering and crowning within two hours of me. Does anyone know of one?

I think you'll find most "good" gunsmiths have more than a two hour backlog. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malm,
You are so correct!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
Thats not exactly what I meant. I was asking if anyone knew of a quality gunsmith within two hours drive of the jacksonville area. Something other than gander mountain, since I highly doubt they do a "decent" job.

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 08 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of the top three GunSmiths in the entire country are fairly close to Jax. The third is in Gastonia, NC.

For what you want, contact John Lewis in Jackson, SC - (803) 827-2069.

Kick on Google and look for "Carolina Precision Rifles" and you can see his web site. It might be CPRifles.com.

If you are not happy with John's work, you need to take up Tiddly Winks. When you drop it off, his predicted Completion Date is generally very close "if" you leave him alone. He will call you when it is ready. Ask about his Rust Proof Finishes if you are stuck with a (rusting) Blue steel rifle.

Schedule a bit more time and drive to Orangeburg, SC and ask where Antley's BBQ is located. The brothers that own the place are fine Hunters and you can see some of their Mounts. The only problem eating there is you will NEVER be able to find BBQ as good ANYWHERE ELSE!!! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never understood having to be close to a gunsmith. You can ship cheaper than driving and have a lot more options.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
I don't exactly agree about shipping being cheaper than driving, especially when one is talking about a couple thousand dollars worth of fine steel. Thanks for the input...

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
To answer your question; none. There was a gent who had a great rep as a pistolsmith, but he really butchered a Model 70 of mine. I don't think he's in business anymore. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Willy's .450
posted Hide Post
Thats what i figured, I was just hoping that some of you fine gentlemen on here knew of someone that didnt advertise. Thanks for the input from all of yall.