Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Making/Finishing
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted
I received a request for my recommendations for good books on stockmaking. I have never actually seen such a book, devoted to stockmaking only. But I recalled that the oldtime stockmaker Alvin Linden had committed something to writing on this subject, and found the following on Amazon.com:

1. Alvin Linden tells about restocking a rifle (A Samworth book) by Alvin Linden
Usually ships within 1-2 business days

2. The finishing of gunstocks and notes on the conversion of the 1917 Enfield rifle (Firearm design & assembly) by Alvin Linden - Other Editions: Unknown Binding - 1952 Out of Print--Limited Availability

3. Pattern sheet of firearm design and assembly (A Samworth booklet on firearms)
by Alvin Linden Out of Print--Limited Availability

4. The inletting of gunstock blanks as applied to modifications of the Springfield rifle (Firearm design & assembly)
by Alvin Linden Out of Print--Limited Availability

5. The shaping of inletted blanks with notes on some alterations to the model 70 Winchester (A Samworth booklet on firearms) by Alvin Linden Out of Print--Limited Availability

I don't know how useful any of these publications would be, but some of them might be available on interlibrary loan, and would be worrth taking a look at, anyway!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.abebooks.com/ Try this for book searches also.

Posts: 116 | Location: Alaska,U.S.A. | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas G. Samworth published four books on stock-making. The first three were written and illustrated by Linden with photographs by Art Vinje. They are Firearm Design & Assembly No 1 The Inletting of Gunstock Blanks as Applied to Modifications of the Springfield Rifle, © 1941; No 2 The Shaping of Inletted Blanks & Alteration of the Winchester Model 70, © 1943,and No 3 The Finishing of Gunstocks © 1941 and Conversions of the 1917 Enfield Rifle. Accompanying each book were full-size hand drawn pattern sheets illustrating sporters made from Springfields, Enfields and the Winchester Model 70’s. The sheets as well as all the illustrations in the book were drawn by Linden. These three works were later incorporated into one volume with all six pattern sheets and titled Restocking a Rifle , © 1941 . The fourth volume was published after Linden’s death and was the last book in this series: Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks by Monty Kennedy which includes a lot by and about Linden. Not only are these volumes fun to read but they will take you from the stock blank to the finished stock leaving no details out. As Linden said, “I covered it like the dew covers Dixie."

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote