Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

drill&tap 95 chili
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to drill and tap my 95 chili with a wheeler jig,I need any tips on useing the tap,I have only used 1/4 and bigger,I have'nt used a peewee tap,I dont want to break it.any tips would be welcome.thanks ahead of time edsmith

Posts: 10 | Location: Maine,standish | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try to break the case hardening on the action before drilling anything. This may be best done with a carbide bit. A tapping head would be a necessity I would think, but you may realize that anyway, plenty of lubricant and be very careful, I have not had too much luck using a broken tap remover that small, but I am not a machinest. Good luck. Bob

Posts: 78 | Location: Harrison, Maine | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you use a carbide drill, be careful to be lined up perfectly because they cut like butter through the toughest hardening.
Over-hardened Krags and 03's eat up taps like no other.
Because you have never used 'gunsmith' equipment, I would also highly recommend that you take this job to a real gunsmith, otherwise you are really wasting your time and money.
Quality gunsmithing is not something that everyone can do and drilling and tapping is a big job to get your feet wet with.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I am going to drill and tap my 95 chili with a wheeler jig,I need any tips on useing the tap,I have only used 1/4 and bigger,I have'nt used a peewee tap,I dont want to break it.any tips would be welcome.thanks ahead of time edsmith

I'm still using a carbide drill and tap I bought from Brownells many years ago. Use their DoDrill as well. Remove and clean the tap often and reapply the DoDrill.

Take your time and enjoy. Good project for any serious hobbiest.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote