New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding an L461?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since the front action screw screws into the bottom of the recoil lug, do you tape the bottom of the lug or should it make contact with the bedding forming sort of a pillar?

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
CISCO--

I feel it's best to relieve the bottom of all recoil lugs so there's not a tiny scrap of something that gets stuck in there and screws up an otherwise good bed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cisco,

Yes....you should bed the bottom of the L461 lug since, as you've said, the front action screw threads through it. Failure to do so will result in action/stock flexure as the screw is tightened. Note that this procedure only applies to those actions where the front action screw actually threads THROUGH the recoil lug.....and not BEHIND it, as is the case with a Rem 700.

Hope this helps.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to bed the rear of the lug only and leave a slight gap in the bottom of the lug., that way you get no twist in the action...My L-461 shoots .250 to .390 bedded that way and it will shoot 5 into that or even 10...It is just super accurate, has a zero neck in 6x45...no glass. Not to shabby for a muzzle of 550 at 20"'s...very light 4.5 lb. rifle...Tony Barnes did the metal before he died and made me a M-70 3 pos. safty out of a piece of bull barrel...I stocked the gun in a piece of the hardest Claro full fiddle back dark dark red walnut I have ever seen. It took 24 LPI checkering with no fuzz....

Posts: 42157 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally do bed the bottom of the lug on Sakos. If you don't bed the bottom of the lug, you must bed the rear portion of the barrel.Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an l495 which is bedded rear of recoil lug and rear of barrel as Bill describes. It is much much more accurate than I have the technique to shoot

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it's 3 to 2 in favor of bedding the rear of the lug only. Almost too close to call but I'll go with the majority vote anyway and change if need be.
Edit: I'll bed the first two inches of barrel also.

Kevin, I'm joining the 17 club! She's chambered in 17 Mack IV.

Ray, sounds like a beautiful rifle.

Thanks for weighing in guys.

Chris

[ 12-07-2002, 07:13: Message edited by: CISCO ]

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CISCO:

I'll bed the first two inches of barrel also.

Granted mine is the Heavy Barrel and a 495 to boot but only the first 3/8" of the barrel are bedded.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote