THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    I need ideas for holding butt stock in duplicator.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need ideas for holding butt stock in duplicator.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am not satisfied with the wood lathe type holder on my headstock spindles and would like to change them to something I could adjust the butt up and down, also sideways on the pattern and the blank. The spindles coming out of the headstock are 7/8" X 14tpi. Sorry I can't do pictures at this time. Thanks Kenny

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
How much room are you willing to loose?

I could draw up a dove tail slide in two directions that would be a screw adjustment. Then use two pins to hold the butt. Got the idea in my head already.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott,
I will not have computer access for 10 or 12 days
I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. Thanks Kenny

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
no problem. I can give you a basic design here.
just a large dove tail from left to right and a small dove tail cutting into the face of that piece vertically. Use screws to jack the piece in to position like on a mill.

If you are interested I could draw something up. and build it if needed.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a small Asian elcheapo 4 jaw chuck designed for an engine lathe?

Screw and glue wood extension onto your butt stock and chuck it with the 4 jaw.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Thats better then my idea. And fully adjustable too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Just tell your clients that if their blanks are shaped like a pretzel and beyond difficult to set up, they will need to pay more for machining.

Don't be ashamed to say this.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed using my hands to hold butts when attempting duplicating operations.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I spent time trying to eliminate some of the problems that always show up on cutting a blank in a machine. First off I had experience with the North Star carver as far back as 1964 and then in 1992 I worked on an Allen machine.

Why did I make such a piece of JUNK to cut stocks? The answer lie in the finish stock and not the machine.

Here is some of my pic's and I will try to explain their function.

The head spindle was designed to allow a rotation of the blank which would let you get the best grain lay out in some blanks. The screws allows the head to move and lock in place after you check to see if the blank will cut out without running out of wood.

Next is the copy of the head spindle to use as a starter punch to guide the blank into position after you center drill the location on the blank. The center angled pin is spring loaded for a better guide to set the point. I try to get the butt end square to the center line of the blank so the points are always engaging the blank. I cut the forend to be squared on the same center line of the blank butt end.
If you want to shift the blank for cast off or any other reason just simply make another center location before you start the cutting. Make the forearm cuts first and then shift the blank to cut the rear section.

The forend is cut with a cutter to match the end of the spingle. It is spring loaded also as well as the spindle holder on the blank side. This makes it much easier to place the blank on the center.

The control of the carriage with a brake is the best idea that I came up with on the design. You can control the cutter with one hand and not be fighting the pull of the router. That will allow for faster routing. I only use this to route the outside of the blank. Internal cutting is with both hands on the machine with light cuts.

Last is the finished stock.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les,that l
ooks very similar to my duplicator! Were you ever at Trinidad?

Posts: 117 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 30 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
K-9, I was teaching there in 1993-4. Did you make a machine on the pattern of the one which the students built in 1994? I had the students build it for the school so they could get paid for doing the work. It is my design. Dave Nolan emailed me a yr or so ago and said that the school had gotten a Don Allen machine recently. The one in the pictures is of the original designed machine. I hope some of the students built their own machine.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunmaker,
I just made this machine because I wanted to and have no intentions to do duplicate as a business.
Les,
I plan to be able to take one pattern out after cutting part of the stock and putting another in to do another part and I need more control. What I have now is similar to yours and once in, works if I leave the same pattern in.
If someone doesn't suggest a better idea.I think I will go with a three sided box with set screws to hold and move the stock. I should be able to move 1/2" either way and infinite up or down. More sideways if needed by altering the block fastened to the butt. Thanks Kenny

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll draw up my concept and you can make it adapt it or what ever

www.KLStottlemyer.com