Find
Notify
Tools

Need a barrel blank contoured
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted
I am planning on rebarreling a rifle and changing barrel mfg. and need to get a blank contoured to fit the stock. Any suggestions or recs.? Thanks in advance.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieger, Douglas, or Pac-Nor. Send in your old barre and they will duplicate it for you.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I was hoping to not have to wait 20 weeks from Krieger as they'd have to start from scratch. I found a straight blank that I can get now and contour it didn't know if any third party would do the same. Krieger wouldn't take down the straight taper down "too much."

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy Gregory
Accuracy Unlimited

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
These people will match your contour on a douglas.

http://www.itdcustomgun.com/ Probably would contour your barrel as well.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I suspect "time" will be your problem....the "deal-breaker" so to speak. Most good barrel makers are weeks or months out on their orders...they have to be if they are going to stay in business.

There are lots of good smaller gunsmiths who could do the work, but often they are even farther out from returning a finished job.

Unless they just opened their business yesterday, they have every kind of different thing to do for customers already in front of your need for a barrel profile job. So basically, even though it may take them only hours to profile your barrel and polish it, etc., FIRST they have to meet the commitments they already have made to others.

And, on reflection, you wouldn't want it any other way. If they are willing to jump you ahead of other folks already in line, why wouldn't they do the same to you once you have sent them your work to be done.?

My suggestion is to pick the brand of barrel you want, arrange with the maker for the contour you want, and wait your turn. It will probably be both faster and cheaper that way....and certainly less hassle and worry.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote