Find
Notify
Tools

The best vintage win 94?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
winchester 94 has been made in millions and during a long period of time. in which periods 94 is best made and has the besr quality?
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Danny, the best Model 94s were built prior to World War II. The pre-war Model 94 carbines featured integral (machined as part of the barrel!) from sight ramps, quality black walnut stocks that were beautifully finished, rust-blued metalwork, and wonderful stamped lettering on the receiver tang and on both sides of the barrel. They were made by craftsmen who knew what they were doing, and who took pride in their work.

I like the pre-war saddle ring carbines the best, as well as the rifle version with the octagonal barrel. Two of my great uncles carried the later style until the depression got real bad in the 1930s, when they were forced to sell their rifles in order to eat. But I still have an enlarged, cirac-1920s photo of one of them, Model 94 in-hand and with an Oregon mule deer drapped over his shoulders, hanging in my trophy room.

A man should NEVER forget his roots.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Saddle Rings were by far the best of the best....The Eastern carbine of that area is simpluy the SRC without the ring and they were equally as good....those guns built in the 1920s and before were all good, accurate guns. They invaribly shoot better than the stuff made in the 40's up to now.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
thanks for replies. Ironically if someone asked me about Swedish made rifles ,i certainly answered the same the best guns were made prior to the WW2. the best quality of work and material. i wish i could find an old 94 in mint condition,but it would not be easy here.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote