New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats going on with this rifle !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a used .243 rugar some 4-5 years ago. Put a scope on it sighted it in and it would shoot little cloverleafs. I them bought a new Baush&Laumb scope for it two weeks ago, expecting the same results, it shot patterns not groups. Sent the scope back, got a new one. Tried it yesterday and all shots seemed to drift back and forth,left to right. So this morning I tried the old business card trick. It worked ! So I resighted 1.5 inches hight at 100 yds.(tiny litle cloverleafs again. NOw here is the puzzlement. I put a dirt clod on the 200yd post, figuring I would hit it no problem, well I didn't it looked like I was shooting over six shot later and many adjustments I still couldn't hit it. They guy on the next bench took a look with his spotter and said I was shooting 6" low ! made a 12 click adjustment up and bang dead center on the fist size piece if dirt. Now what happened, if I was sighted 1.5 inches high at 100 why would it shoot 6" low at two hundred ? I didn't get a chance to check it again at 100 as I ran out of shells and it was getting very hot.. I am shooting 45 grns of imr 4350 with 85 grn speer BT( this has always give one hole3 shot groups in the rifle. Can some one explain this to me ? I've never had this happen before.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
Wow, that is some drop at 200 yards. Are your clicks 1/4 MOA?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like those scope knobs are getting twisted alot - sort of hard to keep track of. I'd resight in at 100 yds and then do a check on a target at 200 yds. Impact point should be almost the same when sighted at 1 1/2 " high with that load. I would also fiberglass bed the end of your stock - that business card won't last forever. Good Luck

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote