Find
Notify
Tools

advice on actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I am looking to build a custom rifle and have been looking at getiing a Dakota action. The Dakota actions are very expensive. I am wondering if a Dakota action is that much better than a cz550 action, if I were to go with a 416 would I be that much more better off with a Dakota. Is it more durible or releable than a cz550 and worth the cost or is the cz550 just as reliable.Is the Dakota a stronger action,does it handle higher psi's than a cz550 or are they the same. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kev,

The Dakota is manufactured to closer tolerances and is finished better than the CZ. I doubt there is any significant difference in "strength" or reliability.

If you intend to build a tack-driver (not all that important in a .416), go with the Dakota; if you're building a DGR, using the CZ will allow you to spend more money on the walnut stock, barrlel, sights, and embellishments.

The CZ also comes with a drop-box magazine allowing one more round capacity; this is an extra-cost option with the Dakota, if I remember correctly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Thanks George for the information, I also posted this subject on African big game hunting. I just want to get some more information on this. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Kev-
A few questions are in order. What is your budget for the complete rifle? What caliber?

It sounds like you are going to spend serious money ($6000+) on the finished rifle. If you do, I think you will be disappointed by the resale value on the CZ-based rifle.

ADCO markets a very nice German made double-squarebridged magnum mauser for about $2500. It takes a some work to mount a scope, but otherwise it is a terrific action. Price is about $2500.

If you are thinking of a 416 Rem instead of the Rigby, I would go with a pre-64 M70 or a good mauser 98.

If $6000+ sounds too high to you, I would advise getting a factory Dakota with all the options. Pick a nice piece of walnut and send it to Dakota to use on your rifle. Dakota really marks up their wood.

Have you settled on a builder? A conversation with Customstox and JBelk would be a terrific use of your time. You'll learn a lot in 30 minutes.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote