THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    HELP..!!! Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 Dis-assembly...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP..!!! Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 Dis-assembly...
 Login/Join

posted
HI ALL...I recently acquired a Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 30/06...It is in VERY nice condition with only a few VERY minor storage marks on the BEAUTIFUL AMERICAN BLACK WALNUT Stock...it shows minimal firing...the barrel is almost new with SHARP rifling and the muzzle is likewise sharp and clean...it has to be an EARLY one..the serial # is 5 digits..!!! # 651xx...1946...?? 1947..??? The barrel is stamped "30 GOV'T 06"...!!! Anyway, this rifle needs a THOROUGH cleaning inside....I dismounted the action from the stock and removed all metal parts....DUST everywhere inside...with some old dried oil....I managed to dis-assemble the bolt...got the striker assembly out...cleaned the inside of the bolt..more dried oil...NOW..how do I dis-assemble the striker assembly...???? There is a BIG spring there..!!!!!! Is there a manual that shows how to do this....Can anyone help..??? What say ye learned gentle men..????
Thanks to all..
Pete

Posts: 23 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 31 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Frank de Haas' book "Bolt
Action Rifles". It will both show you an exploded diagram, and will talk you through disassembly and re-assembly as well. If you don't have a copy of that big paper-back, you should...they are less than $10 on-line from used book houses.

Really, though, you don't need to do that disassembly step. Just get a spray can of disc brake cleaner available from any auto suppply house and hose the assembly down. It will be clean as it ever needs to be, and a small shot of spray oil will make it ready to put back in the bolt.

(Don't use the spray cleaner indoors...it is both flammable, and toxic to breathe.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to disassemble the striker is to take it off of safe and let the firing pin Fire. This relieves some of the spring pressure. Then put the cocking piece down on the table and push the firing pin spring collar down and give it 1/4 turn while holding it securely, and remove it. The firing pin is removed by removing the little flat head screw on the bolt shroud. I wouldn't recommend removing the selector as that tiny pin that holds it in must be driven into the shroud to remove the selector and is easily damaged. After you reassemble be sure to recock and place the safety in the intermediate position. You can do it with a vice or a pair of pliers if necessary. Don't grab/harm the sear engagement surface of the firing pin.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1617 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote