Notify
Tools

Siamese Mauser Q
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Hi all,

Need a little help. I have a Siamese Mauser that's been rebarreled to 45-70 and I'm trying to sort out the feeding issues. One of the issues seems to be that the magazine spring is too weak to elevate the cartridges high enough to engage the feed rails.

I need to make out a Numrich order for some assorted other parts and want to buy a new magazine spring. Any idea what mag spring might work to solve this problem?

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tex There are aftermarket springs availible that are a little stroger than std springs .Springs from P-14/P-17 were meant for a deep magazine and should give you the pressure you need. You may have to grind the side of the new spring so it fits the slot in your follower and floorplate. Hope that helps

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, I used one from an '03 Springfield.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, brownells sells stiffer springs. But also check the follower to see it is beveled on the rear to match the slanted box. If not it will drag there.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 1903 Springfield spring. I also did something to make it stay toward the front of the floor plate. That made it stay engaged with the follower and help put more of the pressure on the front of the follower. I had problems with the follower not lifting the nose of the rounds high enough to start the feeding process. I think I also bent the top leg of the spring upward.
I am not saying this to crow but the spring issue was about the biggest part of getting my rifle to feed. It was not something you plan or draw. I just had to experiment. The best thing I did was break the original spring trying to stretch it out. After I threw that flimsy weakling away the 1903 spring made for quick progress.
The feed rails required only .003 to .005 on each side at the front 3/4". Grinding the back of the extractor blade and beveling it to allow the case to ride up out of the magazine was another item that made it work.
It was an interesting first time project.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote