THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mag Box for .460 Based cases in P14 Enfield?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am building a rifle for the .500 A2 on a P14 Enfield Action. What have those of you who have a .460 based case in this action done for a magazine box? I have considered either welding together or machining a new box, but if there is an off-the-shelf box that will work, I'd like to know.

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can check with London guns in Santa Barbera in California. 805-683-4141. They make bottom metal and magazine boxes for Enfields (as well as others) for a reasonable price. I don't know if they make them for 460 based cartridges, though. Can't hurt to ask. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
loud-n-boomer,
PME make's bottom metal I believe with integral magazine box for Enfield's. I haven't used the Enfield bottom metal but I have used the Mauser. It really add's to the appearance of a rifle.
http://www.precisemetalsmithing.com/MoreTrigger%20Guards.htm

Posts: 67 | Location: Eddington,Maine, | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can get a longer box from Gun Parts & save a lot of work.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loud-n-boomer,
I have the same project in the works,well close, a 510 Wells. Blood brothers at the least. Are you doing this yourself? I have a smith doing my metalwork,I shall attempt the wood. My smith has already done a 416 Rem. Mag for me as well as a 458x2" American. The 458 will undoubtably be reamed out eventually. I already have 3 45-70's and can get the 2" ballistics from my Marlin. I would love to see pictures of your project as it comes along. Are you doing Express Sights ? signing off. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This 500A2 (on an Enfield action) used the replacement box from Gun Parts Corp. It's a simple sheet metal unit that runs about $8.

-

Good luck!

Sam B.
http://www.fireflyarms.com

Posts: 497 | Location: Lewistown, PA USA | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sam, what kind of stock is that, and is that a re-worked bolt handle or a new replacement? I'm always curious as to what other people have gotten up to with their Enfoields. Thanks - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
45Nut:

I am doing the entire thing myself. I have already recontoured the action and rewelded the guard to a straight guard. I have a .458 Lott barrel for the action that I threaded, chambered, and cut the extractor grove on. The Lott barrel will become a .460 Weatherby barrel as a switch barrel, as I already have another Lott. The stock is a laminated stock that I have rough inletted, the front sight is a banded ramp, and the rear is my own design that combines a peep sight and a QD scope base. I put the project aside for about two years when I found a .450 Watts/.458 Lott built by Duane Wiebe, at a price I could not pass. Now the parts are yelling at me to finish them into a rifle. Since I already have a big .458, I figure that with an Enfield, the logical (?) direction to go is up.

Dave

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote