Find
Notify
Tools

Rem700: 470 Capstick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
I almost hate to ask but is it feasible to rebarrel/rechamber a Rem700 currently in 375H&H to 470 Capstick? Can the magazine capacity of 3+1 be retained and made to feed? Any other problems likely to raise their head? My gunsmith is confident and willing to do the work, which is understandable as it's my money! [Wink] I believe that A-Square at one time offered their left-hand Caesar in this calibre, so I presume it can be done.
Thanks in advance...
Con
PS: Please, no CRF vs PF debates. I feel bad enough just asking [Big Grin] .

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer, but have you considered a left handed model 70? That conversion has been done successfully.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Con,

It may be possible, but why? Get a LH M-70 .375, and THEN convert it. My .470 Capstick is a LH M-70.
Magazine capacity will likely be two, unless you get a drop-box magazine (and new stock). Feeding requires the right parts and the right geometry; if your gunsmith has built .458 Lotts and .470 Capsticks before, then he can probably make it feed.
The A-Square Caesar was built on a LH Sako action, not Remington.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I see no problew with such a conversion. It should be quite straightforeward. I'd use a mag box for the 375 RUM to get 3 down, but that's about it! I've built two 450 Ackleys on the Rem700 with no problems at all. add a holland recoil lug to replace the flimsy factory lug. Make sure you add a second barrel recoil lug and use a stock with two proper crossbolts.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies to date. I should clarify that I mentioned the A-Square rifles not because I'm a leftie but rather because I thought they were Rem700's and hence showed the work to be possible. Thanks for straightening me out GeorgeS [Smile]

Rob, Would changing the magazine box to one from a 375RUM necessitate drastic stock alterations? I've got two stocks, the original BDL stock and a Bell & Carlson which is the guns working stock, both glassed and bedded. I'm pretty keen to keep both on this project for the moment. Thanks for the tip on replacing the existing recoil lug, hadn't thought of that!

Barrel will be a locally produced Sprinter, dies will be CH/4D and a Clymer reamer will be used. Anyone have adverse experience with any of these?

Thanks again...
Con

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Con- You might not even need the 375 RUM mag box. Your 375 Box may work fine. The RUM boxes are available from Brownells for only$25 or so and it might give you more mag room. USE the original 375 follower and spring. The RUM box will hold three RUM cartridges and who knows, it might hold four 470 capsticks. It's a simple fit and should require no stock alterations.
Definately add the second barrel lug and crossbolts or you'll be sorry!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob
Yes, I have been sorry before when it comes to Big Bores. Imagine a Ramline only holding on for 15ish rounds on a 458WM loaded with 350gr Hornadys at 2470fps, jeez.... [Frown] The replacement Butler Creek has held on for 50 so far... [Big Grin] The past joys of being a cheapskate Uni student!! Seriously though, thanks for the help so far, I'm emailing the 'smith today for a quote and chatting with him later in the week for another reality check. He has already raised the possibility of needing to replace the magazine box but doesn't think it will be necessary...
Con