New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mounts for an 1903 A3
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I mill the boss (that protrudes into the mount on an A3) off where the rear mount sits can I use 1903 mounts? Is this the only difference between the 1903 and 1903 A3 as far as mounts go.

I am looking for matte 2 piece scope mounts for my 1903 A3. The only 2 piece mounts I have found are Weaver mounts like the ones that I have now (which have the gloss finish). These are OK, but I would really like a matte finish.

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck3:
If I mill the boss (that protrudes into the mount on an A3) off where the rear mount sits can I use 1903 mounts? Is this the only difference between the 1903 and 1903 A3 as far as mounts go.

No.....the 1903 rear ring is domed, whereas the 03-A3 is flat with that machined dovetail. The Weaver bases can be purchased in matte steel.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Buck,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weaver does not list the rear in matte anymore. I found one for the rear on Gun part corp, but it did not list the front mount.

Are the front bases the same on an 1903, and 1903 A3?

Midway only shows the Alum. gloss bases for the A3.

Buck,

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck3:

I am looking for matte 2 piece scope mounts for my 1903 A3. The only 2 piece mounts I have found are Weaver mounts like the ones that I have now (which have the gloss finish). These are OK, but I would really like a matte finish.

Buck,

Use a base that is milled to fit onto that rear sight protrusion/dovetail.... That transfers the recoil impulse to the scope base so there's no load on the base screws.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote