New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther vs. Kreiger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
both of these barrels have a good reputation. is there any definable difference in quality between the two?

i am intending to re-barrel a Winchester Model 70. i have decided to use one of these two barrels and i just wondered if anyone had a strong opinion for either one.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill smith:
both of these barrels have a good reputation. is there any definable difference in quality between the two?

i am intending to re-barrel a Winchester Model 70. i have decided to use one of these two barrels and i just wondered if anyone had a strong opinion for either one.

You are looking to solicit strong opinion from this site? Oh brother! Big Grin

Both are equally good barrels. My suggestion would be to toss a coin. Heads, Shilen... Tails, Shilen! Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Often the strongest opinions come from those least qualified to give them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that I am not qualified then. Of those 2 I would only consider a Kreiger. They are good as they can get and Woody?? No comment.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Krieger is a "Tier One" barrel - i.e. one of the absolute top barrels (perhaps together with Hart and Shilen) - simply based on their presence in BR competitions. Then there are a whole bunch of barrels which are probably just as good, but for some reson or another are not used by the BR shooters quite as much - e.g. Bartlein, Rock, Obermeyer, Lilja - what not. (We may argue endlessly which manufacturer belongs in which tier...).

Then there are what one could call the "Tier Three" barrels - barrels which are rarely used in BR - barrels such as LW, Douglas, PacNor etc. Also excellent barrels. In fact depending on your application, it is quite possible you'd never be able to tell the difference between a Tier One and a Tier Three barrel...

I don't personally own LW barrels, but I have a few Kriegers. They are some of the best shooting and easiest to clean (SS) barrels I own.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
JMHO
Krieger is definately a top level barrel like Rock, Kosyshyn, Shilen and a few others.

L-W is good but not in that same league.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
You won't see many LW barrels at a benchrest match. You'll see plenty of Kriegers. That said, unless you're building a BR rifle, it'll be difficult to see much difference between them in real world usage.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Krieger

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
JMHO
Krieger is definately a top level barrel like Rock, Kosyshyn, Shilen and a few others.

Craig Kostyshyn no longer makes barrels.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have Krieger,Lilja and Obermeyer barrels and don't think I have ever even seen a Walther so I couldn't say.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear a lot of opinion about barrels...I agree with Forrest. Used Douglas for years...they all shot into an inch (3 shots) The absolutely most accurate barel I ever installed was a Shilen on a M-98 in 6mm Rem...in about 1975.

I tend to use Kreiger, but Lilja can take a back seat to no one...Never installed one that did not shoot incredibly well. Never had a problem with ANY barrel except one Kreiger...which they promptly replaced.

I can't prove it, but I think that most of the accuracy gains the past 20 years or so has been caused by the precision reached in components...comments please!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have used them all. Years ago I started out useing Douglas because I am one. Used to be Asst VP of Clan Douglas Society of NA. They just weren't delivering the accuracy my customers were looking for. Regretably Frowner I switched & chose Shilen & they were better but I found in machining them that the properties of the steel seemed to vary quite often. Some were harder some were softer. I have had excellent results with LW barrels. Personally I like their LW50 SS. Extremely accurate barrels & super easy to clean. I built two 6.5x284s on M700 actions one had a Kreiger barrel & the other a LW. Both had 28" tubes & chambers cut with the same reamer. Both these guns shot tit for tat & cut groups at 700 yds
that folks wouldn't believe.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
JMHO

Craig Kostyshyn no longer makes barrels.

Well damn! I wanted to try one.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The $200 long chambered Lothar Walther 6.5x55 on my second project--unbelievable, huh?--has won best group in the Hunter Class at our club's 200 yard range two years in a row.

I'd use more, but we're buying Bartleins now.

I believe they've earned a spot in the top tier of barrel cutters, judged by recent competition results.

flaco

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
It's all relative. I use mainly Krieger and Bartlien barrels because they are the most consistently accurate barrels I can get my hands on. Most of the barrels I chamber(benchrest) have to be capable of putting 5 shots inside .200" consistently. Now I chamber barrels for High Power and F-Class shooters as well and hunters too. I use some Shilen's for hunting rifles, because they are easy to get and are a little easier on the wallet. For most applications, sub-minute accuracy is all that's wanted, and most any of the custom barrel makers will supply that with regularity.

Duane, I agree that great components are a HUGE part of the accuracy equation. Just look at the sheer number of differnt powders and bullets that we are blessed with today. That being said, there is also a serious jump in the number of barrel makers these days over just a few years ago. More competition=better quality. Same holds true for scopes and action makers.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
The $200 long chambered Lothar Walther 6.5x55 on my second project--unbelievable, huh?--has won best group in the Hunter Class at our club's 200 yard range two years in a row.

I'd use more, but we're buying Bartleins now.

I believe they've earned a spot in the top tier of barrel cutters, judged by recent competition results.

flaco

I've got same Lothar-Walther barrel in a 9.3X62. The groups it shoots are simply amazing.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a lot of it have to do with the quality of the installation job as well? I have seen lawyers wearing $3000 suits that look like they were bought at a second hand store because of the quality of the tailoring. By the same token, I would imagine that a Smith could do a lousy job so that a Krieger barrel shot all over the place!

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
So true

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own two L-W .423 barrels. Both are great shooter and I think Wood and the guys over in Georgia make one heck of a nice product. Woody is a great guy to do business with. Just my opine! Now go buy the one you like!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Krieger. The idea that every grain of steel to machine the grooves was removed by hundreds of passes of the single-point cutter "sets well" in my mind. The quality indicative in that process just does it for me. Can I, as a novice shooter, tell if a barrel has been cut or buttoned when it comes to how the riflings were made? Probably not, but it's a psychological thing for me...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I never had a Krieger so I can't tell. However, I've had several Lothar Walther's so far and they performed most satisfactorily. The latest of them is a match S/S .308 bull barrel I put on a (shot-out .22-250) Ruger Mk II VT. It's presently my most accurate rifle, averaging < .5 MOA for 5 shots. Here it is, with the best 3 x 5-shot groups shot in a row at 100 m :

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have never owned either of the two barrels mentioned, so no comments from the peanut gallery.
I bought my first Douglas barrel in 1960 and my first Hart barrel in 1968. Douglas makes CM barrels, and I like sporters that are blued, so all of my blued sporters have Douglas barrels. My target rifles have Hart barrels as I don't care about the good looks a blued barrel has for them. I'll stick with these makers as they all have shot very well.
One thing I can say, and that is we are blessed with a whole lot of very good barrel makers today.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned three Kriegers and a Douglas premium grade.I honestly couldn't tell which barrels shot better of the two.I am not even sure they shoot better than the late factory Winchesters or Remingtons.I've shot some groups with the factory stuff that I never did with the custom barrels.I once was developping a load with the 300wm with two new,unfired rifles at the same time.One barreled with a Krieger and the other an out of the box Win.I loaded three rds each of various powders with the same 180TSX bullets and shot the groups with each on that same day. The Winchester proved much more accurate.I had a Remington VLS that would shoot one hole 5 shot groups week after week with the 168gr Hornady boat-tails,but could not shoot the 155 grainers as accurate as my Kriegers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have used Hart, Shilen and PacNor all with equally fantastic results. I will probably have PacNor do all future projects. Great barrels and workmanship, all shooting sub MOA. All my rifles are sporters. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
They are both great barrel makers and you stand to get a great barrel from ANY of the known makers, just order one of their top end barrels if you are worried about it.

FYI, Lother Walther supplies the barrels for the German and Austrian olympic teams.
Does anyone want to say they are not good?

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote