THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 action for making a custom rifle.
 Login/Join

<wolf6151>
posted
Has anyone used the CZ 550 action for the making of a custom rifle, if so was it a good choice? Is this a good quality action in terms of design, craftsmanship, and quality of steel used? Thanks for your opinions.

<DLS>
posted
If you search under some of JBelks post you will find pictures of one he did. I don't know the post, sorry.

Dollar for dollar they are my favorite rifle. I do prefer the one's without the detachable mag.
Just my $.02 [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think for big cases like the 416 Rigby or for those who want a 375 with longer magazine than the Model 70, it sure does take some beating. You could makea real nice 375 or 416 on te CZ for the sort of money you would pay just for alternative actions.

But for smaller calibers I think a Model 70 or Mauser 98 is probably a better starting place, especially if you want to go all the way.

If you go all the way with a custom rifle, I don't think the CZ based rifle would have as good a resale as the M70 or M98 based rifle.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the CZ's are excellent value right out of the box and probably only need a new stock in my opinion.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Ricks has built a lot of rifles on the CZ. If you go to his site there are pictures of both rifles and actions. Sorry, I don't have the address.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote