Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn bottom metal styles??????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
I was looking at the zipfile of his products. The way I understand it is he has several style boxes.
1. Blackburn style trigger bow offered in regular and extra deep depths
2. LARGE ORBERNDORF BOW drop box style
3. SMALL ORBERNDORF BOW

What would be the difference between these?

Thanks

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know also. Hope somebody knows.

Mike

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Ted makes several models. For 98's and M70's those you listed are available.

Generally, you will have the choice of 2 magazine depths: Regular (means just that) and Deep (drop belly, for an additional round in the magazine). FYI, your stock will have to be made to accomodate a drop magazine.

The trigger bow types are:

Blackburn style (trim, almost eggdrop shaped opening, more narrow at the back than the front of the trigger guard). FWIW, this is my favorite style for all but the biggest guns, ie 416 and larger. This style comes in regular and drop configurations.

Large Oberndorf (large oblong opening, guard is same width front to back, only comes in drop configuration). FWIW, I think these look best only on really big guns built in the classic styles.

Small Oberndorf (medium oblong opening, guard is the same width front to back, comes in regular or drop configuration). FWIW, I like these when they are finished up by a good metalsmith, but they can look almost utilitarian or militaristic in their original state. I used this one on my 416 Rigby, but had the bow rounded a bit and narrowed just a touch at the rear. It turned out very nicely. The action was an original Oberndorf single square bridge, so it looks just right with the Oberndorf trigger bow.

Hope this helps. Maybe one of the resident gunsmiths will shed some light on the subject as well.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks ForrestB!
Your explanation was exactly what I was looking for

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot about the Blackburn bottom metal on this site and have been curious about them as well. The description posted was very helpful, but does anyone have pictures or does Blackburn have a website?

Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackburn has a website, but unfortunately not much in the way of photos. The website is relatively new, maybe he will add to it in the future.

http://www.blackburnmachine.com/254768.html

Regards, Wayne E.

Posts: 68 | Location: Duluth, Minnesota | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Forrest