Find
Notify
Tools

!/4 Rib Installation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I need an opinion about installing a 1/4 rib on my .458. I have a Zastava action, circa 1963 that I have installed an A&B barrel roughly the equivelant of a Douglas #4 contour. I purchased a Dakota 1/4 rib and other than having to fit it to the contour, it sticks up about a 1/4" above the top of the receiver ring. I have seen other installations that had the rib higher but, a lot that were level with the front ring. My idea is to install it and then mill the rib level with the front ring. What say you in the know?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While not ideal, YES it can be done. In fact I'm presently working on a Brno 9,3X62 that is as you describe - the 1/4 rib was approximately 1/8" higher than the receiver ring and milled level out to the dovetail. The front portion of the rib is of full height.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, you can find the diameter of the receiver ring and mill a piece to fit over the ring and weld it on to the quarter rib. that piece could also then serve as your front scope base.