Find
Notify
Tools

Encore stringing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
I've got an Encore rifle that strings its shots with every barrel I've got ( 22/250,25-06 and 6ppc custom. After much experimenting with Full length sizing etc as well as talking to the experts at Bulberry and Mike Bellm, I still can't stop it. I now believe it has to do with incomplete/variable bolt lock up. Anyone have similar experiences or know how to cure this?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Boltgun>
posted
Rob,
Try removing the forearm and see if your problem goes away. Ruger #1's are notorious for this problem as the barrel heats.
Bolt

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I've tried that. I believe the problem is in the bolt lock-up to the frame. I think I am going to ask E arthur Brown for a new bolt with about .001 milled off the bottom surface. I think this may cure the problem.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 178 | Location: Canada | Registered: 03 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Just curious, is the stringing verticle or horizontal? What is the extent of the stringing? How do you support the gun when firing it? Have you used Bellm's suggested sizing technigue of sizing to get the face of the case nearly flush with the barrel face?

I'd first try changing how you support the gun when shooting to see if it helps.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Kalispell>
posted
I have an Encore in 6-284 made by SSK and it is very senstive to any change in how you rest the forend. Shoots like hell if you hold it the same way everytime though.