Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Profiling
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
Can somebody explain what this service is. I see a few wood dealers offer it. I would pay to get the top and one side square considering my dislike for doing it with a plane.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I start mine in milling machine; I use a big fly cutter and make sure the two sides are parallel and the top is flat and square with the sides. Works for me

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the folks who i have heard use the term of "profiling" meant they could have it "turned" -as in put in a duplicator and turned to match a pattern stock. I have only heard a few people use the term, so others may mean something different.

Me personally, I LOVE the hand plane. I have 4 different sizes I use for making stocks.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey:

DO you mean just geting the blank flat and the sides parallel and square? If you mean copying to a pattern, there are numerous guys out there that do that, some quite a bit better than others.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Jim, I saw the "profiling" service offered on a few sites, I thought it would be different than duplicating from a pattern and I was curious. I find getting things squared up with the plane to be tedious and thought somebody might offer the service.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote