New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre 64 Win. restoration
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here's a couple of pics of a rifle stock I "restored". I used the winrest product.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn....and I posted my first pics too. Thanks Terry Carr..for the how to post pics.

Anyway there's some nice looking wood on some of these old pre 64 mod. 70's. Not that I redo every one I see....this stocks finish was just going away. This is a 1958 model and I'll be using it in south Texas this year.

I recut the checkering on this one too. It turned out real nice.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great, nice work. I'm thinking about doing mine next winter and would like to find a recoil pad like yours. Could you tell me where you got your pad and did you have to fit it.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I ordered the pad from Galazan's...

It comes over size so it has to be fitted to the gun.

Win. recoil pad

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking stock.

Your Recoil Pad looks dry, heres a tip:
Apply some ArmorAll on it and it will brighten it up, like the dashboard in your car.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recoil pad does look somewhat dull. Thanks for the tip...I will try that!

I also showed it to a gunsmith friend and he said I should have kept the pad on while sanding. You can see how the stock rolls over right at the pad. I didn't notice really until he said something about it and now it's really bugging me....Oh well something to remember if I ever do this again.

More lessons I learned: never do checkering without a cradle and correct lighting,, and make sure no one you care about or has the least bit of respect for you is close by while doing this!!!!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP