New
Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Peruvian and the 9.3X62
 Login/Join

<Arthur Olds>
posted
Fellows, I think I know the answer to this but if I don't ask, I'll never know for certain...I have a 1909 Peruvian that I might want to use for a 9.3 X 62...I know the box is too small as it stands but I wonder what else would need work, besides the bolt stop, etc....reason: I love the rear bridge that begs for a pop-up peep and it is an Obendorf...besides, I have a "twiin" for it (1935 Peruvian, untouched, all matching, with an even better rear bridge) that would make a great .404...so that brings us to: 1) can / should it be done? and 2) give me some ballpark figure on $$$? Or....Thanks, Arthur

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If those Peruvians are in original condition I would definately leave them as they are.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would in a heart beat and I would not skimp on the cost of building the guns because with those actions they would bring high dollar if done properly, otherwise I would sell them as they will bring a premium as is, but not like they would made into a nice English rifle...I got $7500 for the last 1935 Chilean I had after a full blown metal job from Belk and I stocked it, It was a 404 Jefferys...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Arthur Olds

Can youpost a few pictures on the peruvian action. I have read about them but never really seen one live?

What are the price for a nice and clean action or rifle in USA?

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
What you have to remember is that the 1909 peruvian is a long reciever with a intermediate bolt in it. This means that the magazine is set up for the 7x57. It can not be lengthened much at all. You could gain about .100" by moving everything to the rear and then about .050" to the front but that's it. This also will be a custom one of a kind guard.

Leave it in the 7x57 class cartidge.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Besides, unless you specifically state the rear bridge will not be milled down, the crest not ground off the receiver, it will look just exactly like every other m98 that has been modded and there will be no way anyone will know it was the super special mythically wonderful Peruvian. Just buy a cheap, clapped out VZ24 if you want to do that.
On the other hand, if you will build it up and leave those parts untouched, then it will actually be worth showing and saying, "yup, this here is a super special mythically wonderful Peruvian, see here, that nice crest?"

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Arthur Olds>
posted
Thanks, guys, for the suggestions...
Mr. Wisner has said it better than I have ever heard it before: "long receiver, intermediate bolt..." that is pretty much the way it is, great reply! Johan, I will try one of these days soon to get the pictures done...every time I look at the 1935 Peruvian and the really high / fine metal work on that rear bridge, I could almost cry...military rifle or not, there are NO break lines, edges, etc., it just flows from square to round (and complex curves on the corners...) Roger, as one who has taught Spanish and Latin for almost 40 years now, yes, the Peruvian is a "super special mythically wonderful" action, but most of all, because it is so wonderfully made and offers so many really nice posibilities that go beyond "useful" or "utilitarian" and I would not dream of removing the charger hump for the world...like all Mausers, the more you handle one and the more you take them apart and see how everything is where it is and the way it is for a very good reason, the more you will appreciate all of the extras the Peruvian offers....Arthur

<JBelk>
posted
Well said, Authur...

I have a 1909 Peruvian sitting next to me.....my first in many many years. Today I got a call from a guy that has another for sale. [Smile] OR trade. [Smile] [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arthur, it is hard to beat the old 7X57. You can still find Argentines for a 9.3X62.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I just posted some pictures at

1909 Peruvian Pictures

That's a 9.3x62 round in the receiver.

[ 05-10-2003, 09:48: Message edited by: JBelk ]

<JOHAN>
posted
JBelk
Nice pictures

Th sad thing is that, I have no room for a rifle with that caliber. What is the original caliber of these rifles?

Swedish gun law allows six rifles for hunting. I got four right now and need room for a new shotgun and a DG rifle [Mad]

I also have a Brno 21 action that takes no place weapons permit. Yes, it's the one i found for 40 $ that were drilled. I have already called the gun Dr. for a cosmetic surgery of the holes [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN
If you buy a Blaser R93 you could have all the different bolt rifle calibers you want. [Wink]
Throw in a drilling, and 4 Double Rifles and you would have a real hunters battery. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
JOHAN
If you buy a Blaser R93 you could have all the different bolt rifle calibers you want. [Wink]
Throw in a drilling, and 4 Double Rifles and you would have a real hunters battery. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

NE 450 No:2
Well for some reason I wont follow part of your advice [Big Grin] I like the idea of drilling and also the doubles [Smile]

A friend picked up his new darling a Chapuis double in 9,3X74R, yesterday. He called today and wanted to buy all my cases in 9,3X74R. He talked me into work up a load for the rifle.

I guess, I will be able to treat me self with his rifle untill I can get the cops to get me one [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
JOHAN
Good luck, and have fun working up loads for your friends Chapuis. I really like mine, as I have stated before it is my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal. My Chapuis was regulated for the 293 RWS TUG, but I have had no trouble finding "loads that regulate" with bullets from 270 to 286gr. It seems to shoot most all the factory loads good enough to hunt with, even the 232 Vulkans which I am going to try this weekend on turkey and wild pigs.
Keep me posted on what loads work good in your friends rifle.
Did he get the scope mount? Mine has the pivot mount and always goes back to zero.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
JOHAN---

The 1909 and 1935 Peruvians were originally 7.65x54. Some of the 1935s were changed to 30-06 in the early '50s. The 1909 has a magazine opening .050 longer (3.500) than a 1909 Argentine (3.450) and a full .280 longer than the very similar 1903 Turk.
I don't have a 1935 to measure, but a 1933 commercial Banner is 3.500. By comparison a standard FN commercial is 3.550.

All these measurements are the front to back opening of the RECEIVER, not the magazine box.

[ 05-10-2003, 21:28: Message edited by: JBelk ]

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
JOHAN
Did he get the scope mount? Mine has the pivot mount and always goes back to zero.

No, my friend has good eye sight and thinks that a scope on a double is like trailer hitch on a ferrari [Big Grin]

I got a look at it this evening. I need to have one [Eek!] This rifle had 26 inch barrels and very nice wood, red but pad. The price was nothing to worry about, it's what the infidels would pay for a blaser with a few extra Ikea parts to play with [Big Grin]

I guess there will be some loading done since he took the 360 cases I had for this cartridge.

Jbelk, thanks for the info. I really enjoyed you website. [Smile]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
The inside length of the 1909 peruvian box is 3.100". It could be lengthened slightly as the rear of the box is .115" thick. The front of the box is .080" thick.

I have two brand new guards hanging on a peg in my shop. They have the 1909 Arg. size bow and hinged latch, with a hinged straddle floorplate. I made a small run of these a couple of years ago.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hey Jim---

You sure you zeroed that caliper?? Both the military 1909 Peruvian boxes I have are 3.4 inside.

There's no radius cut in the front ring that would indicate the rifle had been arsenal re-do to a longer caliber and shows no signs of being altered.

Vat de hell we got here??

<Arthur Olds>
posted
OK, guys, now you've done it...you have forced me to do what I should have done before I made the post, and that is to get out the calipers...so here goes:

1909 Peruvian: bottom action cut: 3.270
ejection port: 2.965
magazine inside: 3.111

1910 Mexican: bottom action cut: 3.263
ejection port: 2.835
magazine inside: 3.102

G 33/40 bottom action cut: 3.469
ejection port: 3.094
magazine inside: 3.311

FN (Sears 50) bottom action cut: 3.554
ejection port: 3.067
magazine inside: 3.390

1935 Peruvian bottom action cut: 3.456
ejection port: 3.066
magazine inside: 3.302

These are the measurements (made several) on each of the actions here...Arthur

<Pfeifer>
posted
JBelk,
Based on your 1909 Peruvian picts...Is this what is in the following picture - top action with the looong front ring?

Bottom is my '35 Chilean and the middle is "MAUSER MOD 1910" but not sure about that top action? Top and middle are LR small shank.
Oberndorfs

Another shot (Top = Right)...
Another shot

[ 05-24-2003, 06:36: Message edited by: Pfeifer ]