New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: convert 243 win to 260 rem ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Last time I had a gun rebored it ran a bit over $300 but no bluing or costs involved with the sights.

Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Danny Peterson, Prescott Valley, AZ can rebore your tube and cut the rifling to your specs. He was the barrel-maker at Fred Wells for many years and went out on his own.

<eldeguello>
posted
Dan Pedersen, Barrel Maker
2601 Lake Valley Road
Prescott Valley, AZ 86314
1-928-772-4060

Reboring is a very acceptable alternative to rebarrelling. A rebored bartrel often turns out more accurate than it was before it was rebored. Plus, if the chambeing is the same or for a larger cartridge, often the barrel does not have to be set back before rechambering, allowing the barrel to retain original exterior dimensions, bluing, sights, etc. Hoiwever, depending on who does the work, one might need the patience of JOB before the project is done!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This seems like too much of a risk to me. One must question why the caliber change anyway? If the factory barrel is not perfect it may not shoot all that well rebored.

Since you already have a factory gun with a market value I see it as a loss of money and too much chance that something will go wrong. Just sell the 243 and buy another rifle in whatever cartridge or keep the 243 and add another gun. What with the money you spend on the rebore you could buy another gun and get immediate delivery when one considers the "value" of a factory 243 Winchester barrel remarked 260 Remington.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote