New
Find
Notify
Tools

MAUSER id
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What Kar 98 marked on the left rail is a small ring?

Saw 3 of them at a gunshop, Horrable condition . Rust .

Kar 98 left rail , Front ring: 1917 and the word E.... (something , cant remember the name)

Someone had them in on consignment for $400 apiece. rediculas price , Rust and pitting.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kar 98 was a WWI model, small ring receiver with large ring barrel. The one you saw was probably made by Erfurt.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Erfurt sounds right or maybe ervert?

Whats the deal with that action? Im not familiar with it . Is it weak kind of like the spanish 95 and undesirable? Is it German made?

They also had a GEW 98 , very cherry conditon , action was in the white. Ive seen nice customs on that action.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
junk. I have one, actually my gunsmith has it because I wanted him to look at it. you don't have a lot of meat in that front ring. Might have been ok for the original chambering but won't be worth squat for use as a sporter. cost of Vz24's and other good ones what they are it isn't wise. and 400 is outrageous. tell the shop owner to tell the person with them on consignment that I will sell him mine for 85 and it has Mark II safety and bolt handle bent and he can sell for 400 and keep the difference.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess they are the 98a . I was wondering if they were something special with that price Eeker Eeker ! ! wew. like a 33/40 ...

Plus they were cleaned up but rusted bad, bolts and all, and heavy pits and corrotion by the stock line, that I could see.

$400 thumbdown thumbdown The guys insane.

Whats a Gew 98 worth? This one was the niced ive seen.very clean sharpe markings. Did the Gew's have in white recievers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find out more than you ever wanted to know about the 98 here:
Mauser 98 Forum

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote