Find
Notify
Tools

Adding weight to synthetic stock....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I just bought a used Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 H&H (synthetic stock). The gun is a little lighter than I prefer.....and is very barrel-heavy. I would like to add a pound or so of weight to the inside of the stock (in the rear).

What are the best options for doing this (preferably cost-effective options)? Should I use lead or some other material? And what type of glue/epoxy should be used for maximum durability?

I was also thinking of filling the entire hollow area of the stock with expanding foam after the weight is added. Are there any reasons why this should not be done?

Thank you in advance guys.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
First off you could add a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock and that would add just about a pound of weight and give you some recoil reduction as well.

Other option would be some #9 shot mixed with epoxy and poured into the stock then add some more epoxy over the top to be sure it's covered and sealed in place.
Then yes fill with foam.

Either way you should get some double sided tape and some solid lead weight to get the balance right. Just adding weight will not fix the problem Adding the correct amount of weight and in the correct spot will.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I added 1.5 lbs to my 416 by class bedding it with a bunch of lead shot added to the bedding compound.

One could do the same to the butt stock. If one wanted to make it removeable coat the inside of the stock with release agent.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it yet? You might be surprised as the H&H is not a beater in the recoil department IME. For a number of years I hunted with an early Rem M700 Custom Shop KS that, with the barrel cut back to 21" and scoped with a Leupold 2.5-8X, weighed a hair less than 7 3/4# IIRC and it was not a problem. I only shot 260's and 270's.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well if he's asking for only one additional pound I don't think he's worried about the recoil. One pound would not make a difference in recoil reduction.

It's more of a balance a fit issue for the post.
He said Barrel heavy. and that can throw off how a gun comes up and mounts to the shoulder. I have one rifle that fits me perfectly and is balanced correctly. It is the fastest rifle I have for getting on target. fit is smooth and the balance is perfect. As near a custom fit rifle as I will have anytime soon

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Mine is just like what you describe, stainless synthetic stocked M70 classic 375 H&H; previous owner put a merc tube in buttstock and it balances great for me. Also seems to recoil less than it's twin in 300 WM.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a Hogue that I added about a # mixed lead shot in epoxy added some in the front and also the rear followed by spray foam in the rear.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
After you add the shot/epoxy fill the void with plastic grocery bags....just stuff them in.
They do a better job than foam in dampening the hollow sound and in time can be easily removed if you want to add/subtract weight.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote