New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look what I Found.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

A Stanley #59 dowel pin jig, now I can drill holes and place dowel pins STRAIGHT, instead of shakily off target.
The idea is due to the leadership of Duane Wiebe, of whom I am not worthy. Fortunately, I can still read, even
better, there are written instructions. Now I can put pieces of wood together without using those bisquits, and cutters.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Inherited one of those from my grandfather. He used it for YEARS. Then I used it for 20+ then I made the mistake of giving it to my son. When he passed I didn't get back a number of my antique tools.

Enjoy

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ramrod,

I actually found this on Fleabay. You can get a complete set for about $35.00 to $50.00. I went for an older model because I like the knurling on the knobs, and greater pride in manufacture. The more modern sets are pretty shiny, but have no soul. Most importantly, there are usually fifteen or so for sale, so if one gets away another one will be there the next day. You can have mine when I croak, but I intend to hang on for a while longer.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I intend to hang on for a while longer.

I like this thought better. Wink

I remember my bushing being held a different way. Confused But it has been several years since I used it. I "thought" they made a change around WWII.

I have a new style but end up using biscuits and Kreg pocket holes Roll Eyes

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biscuits are better, but at the time I had enough for a router or a biscuit pocket cutter. I had to make a sewing bench for the practise wife, and a bombproof reloading bench for myself. I picked up the router to round the leg surfaces so my step-daughter didn't trip and cut her head open. The tool store had a promotion so I also got a mini router for use on formica. I drilled, and counterbored holes for heavy steel flathead screws, filled the slots with glue. Then I glued down the formica. The next day, I trimmed the formica with a 45 degree bevel. It was not so safe as the legs, but it was much easier to work on. The kid even got her own bench. If I ever get stronger Lois and I will go fishing, and blow off the "honey do" construction.

Emma Thompson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a pic of a home shop made tool, similar to that Stanley tool, in Alvin Lindens book that he used. It works very well for grip and tip wood and was easy to make. Those old tools are pretty neat, many times having been replace by some high tech gadget.

Posts: 698 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote