New
Find
Notify
Tools

BRNO Hornet ZKW465
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone advise whether the extractor of the newer manufactured BRNO or CZ will fit the bolt on the ZKW?

Or how hard is it to find an original replacement?

The existing is working but looking a little worn

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steyrl:

The extractor on the current production CZ Hornet fits perfectly in an old BRNO ZKW 465.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thank you, that is good information to keep in mind.

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 308:

Your ZKW 465 looks "mint" from the photo. Where did you get it? What year was it manufactured? I had a very nice one (manufactured 1949) about a year ago that I let go. Never should have let it get away. I really like the old 465s, the metal work on them is actually nicer than the current production CZs.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Steyrl:

The extractor on the current production CZ Hornet fits perfectly in an old BRNO ZKW 465.

Jordan

Jordan, Thanks for the reply; you have made my day. clap

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Jordan, yes it is a minty one, the second nicest I ever saw. I was too stupid the first time having been burned with a Khornet bersion the first time. The second go round got it right though. It was at a Poughkeepsie (spell that one a few times!) gunshow about 15 years ago now. It lives mainly in my safe, but on occasion surprises me with it's accuracy. The proofs show it to be a 1949 production, a year before I was made! My former business partner has first dibbs on it should I die first...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
Sako 308:

I had a very nice one (manufactured 1949) about a year ago that I let go. Never should have let it get away. I really like the old 465s, the metal work on them is actually nicer than the current production CZs.

Gidday Sako 308,

I believe my ZKW465 was manufactured in 1949 too. I had a good friend (he passed away sometime ago) who was a wool farmer and used it to really good effect on the foxes and crows at lambing time. I saw him take some amazing shots with the ZKW; besides being a good shot he knew the rifle extremely well. At one time he asked ne to take it to a good gunsmith and have it rebarelled which I did. When he became ill, emphasaema (spellings probably wrong) he asked me to have all his firearms valued. When I took the valuations back to him I offered him the valued price on the Hornet. His reply surprised me; "I was hoping you'd make me an offer for it as I raher see it go to someone who'll keep it look after it".
Everytime I see that rifle in the safe I think of a very good friend.

Smiler

Jordan

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I must be honest, I don't want to see it in my estate just yet! Too many rounds left to shoot and more than a few places left to see. But I do agree the sympathy that a true friends presence would be a comfort at times. Treat it well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Treat it well.

Yes Mate, I will. Even my son appreciates the rifle and has suggested it will stay in the family always.

Let's get off this train of thought. It always gives me a chuckle when I'm reloading for the Hornet as to how many loads I can get out of 500grams of powder compared to my other centrefires.

Best Regards,