New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 721 sear install
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quick sanity check. The trigger on the old 721 was so horribly gooped up that I had to tear it down completely. It probably hasn't been disassembled in my lifetime and I'm the 2nd generation to have it. To the point, I got it all cleaned up and put back together but I wasn't paying attention to the position of the sear pieces (2 piece sear) when i took it apart. One part has a little step that the other piece does not have and one even has a little tiny knob on one corner.

You can only do it one of two ways, and I'm 99.9% certain that I got it right but I wanted to confirm. With the sear components installed as I have them the safety works, and butts up against the little foot on the half on the left side (from the rear). Logic would dicate that if I had them backwards, the safety would not function.

I just need a quick yes/no on this from someone who remembers how they go back together. The little knob does not appear to serve any function whatsoever, which is one of the things that introduced a little doubt. Again, it functions perfectly. I readadjusted overtravel, sear, pull, no problems. Good as new.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Side note. The pin for my 721 had to be galled / epoxied to stay in place. Blocked the safety when it slipped sideways. Might happen after all that cleaning...

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I strongly suggest you take it to an experienced gunmith. Putting it together correctly and then setting it up correctly are critical in making it safe.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noted, Toomany Tools. It's not my first rodeo on this kind of thing, I was just looking for a sanity check. I know the question sounded very "noob" as they say, but again, not my first time. Just my first time with this one. I checked again and it is correct. It's a mechanical interference setup, and it wouldn't work if the piece was on the other side.

BNagel, fortunately all of the pins on this one were as tight going back in as they were coming out. Getting the sear and spring to stay in place while I'm trying to put the whole thing back together was a major PITA but I was able to craft some make shift pins that would drift out when I pinned it back to the action.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
They're a lot easier to put together with the bolt in place.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sonnofa! Now you tell me. lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The little "slavepins" have always worked for me.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote