New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help, SAmmi Reamer ???????????????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can some one tell me where I can look to get a drawing, on line, of a finish reamer for a Rem 6mm? Both showing the Sammi max., & min.

The reason I ask:

I have a very accurate Ruger #1, in a Rem 6mm, made yrs ago. I have always had a problem, with taking a new case, drops easy in the chamber. I fire it, & try to put it right back in, & it’s hard to chamber, & when I run it thru my Redding FL, & bump die, it’s still hard to chamber.

I take a case, & run it on my RCBS “run out “gauge & it does not show a bulge in the chamber. My reloads are all below reloading manuals max., & show no signs of pressure.

When I take a measurement .200 in front of the case head (bolt face) on a new unfired case, it measures .466, seems normal as most new cases are undersized.

I load & fire the case, & it will measure .468 at the same point. Took a magic marker, blacken the case & chambered it. Was very, very hard to extract. The only place on the case that showed a faint removal of the†black†was close to the .200to .400 measurement.

Is it probable the chamber was cut with a smaller than min. Sammi finish reamer?

I called Redding Die tech, & he told me that .200 in front of the “case headâ€, Redding spec. is .4724.

This would show that my die is not doing a very good job of re-sizing my brass.

My thought is that I need to find a gunsmith with a Sammi reamer not smaller than Min. & clean out my chamber.

Does any of this make sense/reason to you gun smiths?

Your thoughts/opinion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Gene

Posts: 182 | Location: Va. | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try to avoid messing with your rifle.
If you can send me a photo of the area in question I can measure some of my resized brass. I have 4 or 5 different 6mm Remington sizers (redundant huh?)
I suspect you just need a different sizing die.

Try this.
Size your case as normal. Partially withdraw it from the die enough to spin it about 120 degrees. Repeat at another 120 degrees. If that does not fix it you probably need a skinnier sizing die.

You can also try to squeeze the base in if you have a .25-06, .270 or .30-06 FL sizer. If it does make contact the shoulder may move forward a little.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sizing dies are not always made to correct specs. Yours would'nt be the first to not size a case enough. Or it just might be a max size sammi sizing die on a min sammi chamber.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ireload2,

I tried taking a few fired cases, & using the FL die, sizing them, turn them 120 degrees, do it again, & turn another 120 & do it again.

Then used my 30.06 , & 25.06 die, turning those too. It still didn't make any differece.

I would send you a picture if you sent me your e-mail address, or a PM here ?

my e-mail is , ecdiet@hotmail.com,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gene

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chestsprings:
Ireload2,

I tried taking a few fired cases, & using the FL die, sizing them, turn them 120 degrees, do it again, & turn another 120 & do it again.

Then used my 30.06 , & 25.06 die, turning those too. It still didn't make any differece.

I would send you a picture if you sent me your e-mail address, or a PM here ?

my e-mail is , ecdiet@hotmail.com,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gene

Gene I sent you an email

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
recv. it, & will correspond via e-mail

you have an e-mail

Thanks

Gene