New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore Polishing/Fire Lapping and velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen some information on lapping and its effect on accuracy but does it also increase the velocity of the bullet? If so, how much? I know that some barrels shoot faster than others, I assume this must be because there is less resistance on the bullet when it is fired. What are your guys thoughts on this subject? It would be interesting to take a new barrel and fire lapp it extensively stopping occasionally to get velocity readings, has anyone ever tried this?

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I can't exactly answer your question, but close. I took a new Savage in .300 Ultra and firelapped the barrel as I broke it in. I didn't like the looks of the barrel(rough) inside, so I figured I had nothing to lose. Thing is, I don't know what it would have done beforehand, but now it is a "fast" barrel and shoots .5 MOA or less. I used the David Tubbs system.

bowhuntrrl

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have seen some information on lapping and its effect on accuracy but does it also increase the velocity of the bullet? If so, how much? I know that some barrels shoot faster than others, I assume this must be because there is less resistance on the bullet when it is fired. What are your guys thoughts on this subject? It would be interesting to take a new barrel and fire lapp it extensively stopping occasionally to get velocity readings, has anyone ever tried this?

I fire lap barrels that foul easily. Haven't seen a measureable difference in velocity.

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote