Find
Notify
Tools

relining pistol barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted
what's a ballpark figure to reline a 2" pistol barrel in .25 auto? I acquired a Spanish copy of a Colt 1908 Pocket .25. Barrel has so little rifling it nearly a smooth bore! I know it's not a high dollar piece, but I think it'd be fun to shoot.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More then the pistol is worth.

If you are doing it for fun shoot it as it is then when the fun is over with.

Take it to a high price gun buy back and then buy yourself something nicer.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes,, more than the gun is worth, but just shoot it; 25s don't need rifling anyway, being useless for any purpose. War story; I repaired a 25 Beretta for a guy at Ft Stewart. Took it out into the woods to test fire, at a big beech tree. The bullets would not penetrate the bark.

Posts: 17192 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
I found a new barrel for $106 (Numrich @ $76 is sold out Frowner ). Is relining more than that? I know it's not much of a round; about the same as the NAA .22 I carry daily Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
I would say relining will run you more than that. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

Just remember, if you are going to carry it for protection, carry it empty. If you have it loaded you may actually use it and really piss off whoever you shoot and then they will probably hurt you.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
22 LR is a better cartridge. I advise everyone who carries a 25 to file off the front sight; makes it less painful when your attacker shoves it up your ass.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The liner would be the cheapest part. https://www.trackofthewolf.com...catalog/page_208.pdf
Then finding someone to drill out the old barrel install the liner then chamber.

If I felt I really needed to shoot it I'd opt to replace the barrel.

Hmmmm 25ACP 35gr bullet 900fps and 28-80 cents per round

22lr 40gr at 1435 and 6-10 cents per round. Love to shoot my 22lr Pistols Wink

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
22 LR is a better cartridge. I advise everyone who carries a 25 to file off the front sight; makes it less painful when your attacker shoves it up your ass.

rotflmo

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the debate about the effectiveness or lack of re the 25acp for protection of ones self aside,,relining the little Spanish made pistol is not a wise investment. It will cost over $100 unless you find someone who works for free.

It probably won't make that much if any improvement where the bullet falls at kitchen table defense ranges, and after a box or two at 25acp ammo prices you;ll be glad you didn't spend anything on it just to hear it go bang.

Not that it can't be done,,I did stuff like that and lots of goofy rebuild projects on give-away type guns when I was growing up just to learn how to do stuff. But to put money into that particular pistol for materials and some elses labor,,no,,not worth it.
Now if it was an original pre-war Walther PPK in 6.35mm w/a bad bore,,that'd change the picture altogether,,

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2152hq:
All the debate about the effectiveness or lack of re the 25acp for protection of ones self aside,,relining the little Spanish made pistol is not a wise investment. It will cost over $100 unless you find someone who works for free.

It probably won't make that much if any improvement where the bullet falls at kitchen table defense ranges, and after a box or two at 25acp ammo prices you;ll be glad you didn't spend anything on it just to hear it go bang.

Not that it can't be done,,I did stuff like that and lots of goofy rebuild projects on give-away type guns when I was growing up just to learn how to do stuff. But to put money into that particular pistol for materials and some elses labor,,no,,not worth it.
Now if it was an original pre-war Walther PPK in 6.35mm w/a bad bore,,that'd change the picture altogether,,

Smiler Thanks! I'll take your words to heart. for the record, I wasn't intending it to be a carry piece, just something to pull out now and again and listen to it go bang. Big Grin I'll put the money towards something more modern and reliable! tu2 Big Grin

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can still shoot it; having rifling does not improve a 25 auto anyway. In fact, a tumbling bullet probably makes it better.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can still shoot it; having rifling does not improve a 25 auto anyway. In fact, a tumbling bullet probably makes it better.

tu2

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:

What that statement? Any caliber will do as long as it begins with a 4?
Tumbling probably gives a .25 x .45 cross section. Even at low velocity it at least has to hurt a bunch!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Before any of you heroes get it into your little-pea-brains to test the effectiveness of the 25 ACP by putting their thumb over the barrel or catching the bullet in a baseball mitt. Quite a few people have actually been killed by the little 25 auto. And skateboards, and slingshots, and hatpins. Did I mention that my buddy almost choked to death on the nosh in his martini ?

coffee And always take the spoon out of your coffee too. Yes, you know who you are. I don't have to point ! ! ! ! !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
check out gunbroker:

Colt 1908 Vest Pocket, .25 ACP, 2", Gun Parts Kit

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
Before any of you heroes get it into your little-pea-brains to test the effectiveness of the 25 ACP by putting their thumb over the barrel or catching the bullet in a baseball mitt......

yuck animal

L.O. Flipping L.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a "watch this hold my beer" moment.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Quite a few people have actually been killed by the little 25 auto.[QUOTE]

And a bunch of bad people die of old age every day. If somebody is threatening me or my family I don't care if I kill him, I want to stop him. My .45ACP will do that consistently, a .25ACP will not.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote