THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mosin-Nagant converted to 45/70 govt.?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I once did a Berlenger sp?, the Lebel with the action in the stock....Anyway assuming the magazine box is wide enough in the front it should work out OK. I did a couple of P-14s and they were more trouble and required more thinking. They work fine too. Very nice looking and slick operating. I do think you are going to have less head scratchig with the Nagant. The only "problem" I see is the fact that it is a crude clumsy action. Maybe get one of those cheap Numrich barrels to keep costs down. Get the octagon one and turn it half round. Stock it like an early bolt action sporter. Do the European stock thing with the snobble tip, lock pannel flats and funny cheek piece. It would look pretty nice.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy all,

Thought I would ask some q's on this one. Heard thru the grape-vine (internet) that a few people out there have taken a Mosin-Nagant action and converted it to 45/70. Is this a do-able endeavor? I have a few Mosin's sitting in my closet that are kinda' rough in the bbl dept. I was trying to think of a suitable alternative to the standard chambering with the Russian round - can this action safely handle the ol' 45/70? Is there massive alterations needed - or minor?

I would surely like to see these actions put to good use - but not if it requires a major "carve and hack job" to get it done. If anyone out there has done the conversion - please give me some feed back - tips, warnings, etc.

The easy answer is a replacement bbl - Too simple for me, tinkering around with a conversion sounds like fun!
Thanks in advance
Eric

Posts: 62 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Eric,
this is on my project list... looks like it should work...

the 91 has been rechambered (badly in cases) to 30-06, and, in my opinion, a worthless conversion, unless brass wasn't available.

so, do I think it'll take 45/70... yep.... hot loads? that's to be seen

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote