New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case ejection problems with Ruger M77V
 Login/Join

<Jon B>
posted
I have a Ruger M77V 22-250. The problem is that it will not eject fired cases. It extracts them fine, but the case pops off the bolt face before it has a chance to leave the action. I have heard there is a fix for this, but I am not sure what it is.

<Big Stick>
posted
I'm assuming Ruger MK II?

If so,tweak the extractor,to allow it a smidge more purchase............

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Well, just to be different, I'll assume an M77 "Mk 1" with the tang safety... :-)

However, I think both rifles are the same in this respect. In any case, I had this problem in an M77 Mk 1 in 7mm Rem mag.

Big Stick is correct -- the extractor can be tweaked for a bit more tension. I did that and it worked, but I later replaced the extract for peace of mind. Brownell's sells the extractor for about $17 www.brownells.com

jpb

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Brain fart. My mind was looking at the plunger ejector on the MK I and I went into "700 mode"(grin).

All Rugers wear the long extractor,though ejector methods differ.

I know what I meant,but failed to accurately say it....................

posted Hide Post
Big Stick&jpb,I have this problem with my 77 tang safety. Could either of you post what the "tweak" consists of? Scott

<Jon B>
posted
I was able to fix mine by removing the extractor and bending it for more tension. It works great now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
purchaced a brand new m77mkII a few years back in 280 rem . first trip to the range i had the same experience .7 out of 10 cases fell off the bolt face half way back . had the shop owner order me a ne extractor and i installed it . same problem . boxed it up and sent it back to ruger for repairs . got it back 3 months later only to find the same problem existed . the shop owner reached up in the rack and handed me a new one . this one extracted just fine but the best i could get at 100 yds was 2 1/2 inches. every combination of brass , powder , bullets and primers was tried to no avail . free floating and bedding it didnt do a thing to help. i dumped it like a bad date and promptly wrote a letter to ruger expressing my concerns ( in a very nice way , unusual for me ). when i didnt recieve a reply in 3 months i wrote another . still no reply . as far as im concerned the only thing the mkIIs are good for is holding the barn door open on a breezy day . ohhhhhh and recently a friend picked up a new ruger 77v in 243 . it doesnt shoot as well as my out of the box 700 adl with the cheapo plastic stock and $80.00 tasco scope . lol i told him not tooooooooooooooooo

Posts: 25 | Location: patton pennsylvania usa | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jon B,thankyou for the info.I did the tweak as you suggested and it worked.Much appreciated.Thanks, Scott