Find
Notify
Tools

Interarms Mark X - .26 Nosler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone built such a rifle?

Customer asking about converting a Mark X in .300 WinMag to .26 Nosler.

I am so out of touch with the latest and greatest cartridges, I had to Google to even find out what the 26 Nosler was. Eeker

Straight forward conversion, or is feeding going to be an issue? (I suspect it will be.)

Thanks you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
26 Nosler Beltless Wanna be 264 Thor or what`s his nuts Western. Beltless 264m Win.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure it can be done. Would I do that with a Mauser? No. It'll require more material be removed from the feed rails and ramp and in my mind, that's where a case hardened Mauser gets some of its strength, from its mass. The rebated rim of the .284 Win. case will feed up under the exractor. Standard length magnum cartridges (7mm Rem. Mag./ .300 Win. Mag.) are routinely fed through Mausers. If it were me, I'd choose an action all ready for the UM case (even though this one is a 'shortened' UM). Using an action just because "it's what I've got" usually won't 'fly' in my shop. Like the guy who wanted me to build a 'target rifle' using his 03/A3 Springfield action, because he already has it. It just wouldn't fit my definition of a "target rifle" any more then a Mauser needs to be an UM.

Posts: 699 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tangential question: Is the Mark X a "case hardened"/carburized action? I have seen information that it is, and information that it is not.

Unclear as to the mention of the .284? Because of the rebated rim?

As to the need for removal of material from the rails. I understand this will likely be needed. This is the basis of my question concerning feeding.

As to removing "too much". If I understand correctly, the case is dimensionally similar to the .404 Jeffery, which has been chambered in Mauser rifles for a long, long time.

Customer is fan of Mauser rifles. The plan is to acquire a Mark-X in .300 for he conversion.....if it will work without huge amounts of frustration.

The wide sharp shoulder looks to be frustration waiting to happen.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I few the MKX as different than the old case hardened military 98s.

Would I build a 26 Nosler on any action nope. I always had trouble getting enough barrel to burn all the powder in a 264Wmag. But that is just my opinion that you didn't ask for. Big Grin

The case is basically the same size as Jeffe AR series of wildcats. Any number have been built on 98s as well as other 06 length actions.

Yes it will need a little work to get it to feed. but a 300wmag MKX should be an ok place to start.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote