Notify
Tools

.260, 6.5-284, and 6.5 WSM ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

Can someone tell me

1. the interior length of a mk77 short action magazine?

2. The COL for a .260 Rem

3. The COL for a 6.5-284

4. The COL for a 6.5 WSM

5. if either of the last two would be a feasible rebarrel proposition for the mk77 short action?

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. the interior length of a mk77 short action magazine?

and
quote:
5. if either of the last two would be a feasible rebarrel proposition for the mk77 short action?

I'm not sure of the length but know the action is long enough for all there cartridges. People will tell you that you need a long action for the 284 based cases but if you stay with factory (284) oal it will work fine. Barnes reloading manual #3 gives 2.17 for max case length.
As far as the wsm cases they will work but you better find a gun smith that works by the job and not the hour because it could take him a few hours/days to get it to feed properly. Or it may not take much work at all. When Rick Jamison was building his 404 based wild cats (in shooting times) on short Ruger actions a few years ago I recollect him saying some of his rifles needed no feed rail modifications at all.
Good Luck Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I didn't get a chance to measure mine last night. As I recall, you can load to a COL of 2.9".

I think you need to look at the overall package, project, and what you are after. From what I've seen, you really need a long barrel, ie 26" to take advantage of a WSM case. That and you are likely looking at a custom reamer and dies. The 6.5X284 has standard reamer, dies and brass, and really achieves about all you can in a SA shorter barreled ~22" rifle.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on source:

260: 2.750-2.780
6.5X284: 2.795-2.800
6.5X300WSM: 2.760-2.860

Have a short action remington 722 - same lenght as current M700 that was chambered for a 257 Roberts and I rechambered it for a 25-284 back in 1965 - only modification required was to cut the chamber - magazine reduced from four to three cartridges. 120 gr bullets were seated deep but no big problem - would generate 3100 fps with 120 gr and 3400 with 100 gr out of the factory 24" tube. I would expect though that the 140 gr in 6.5 would be stuffed way far down the case - need someone who has one of these to speak out about that 140 gr in a short magazine.

The duck season is over and the range should be opened up - unless its pouring I'll be out there Friday.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friday sounds good to me too.

Morning or afternoon?

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
will take the little woman to work at 8:30 then me and the "dog" are headed to the range - have a couple of new rifles to check out (9422 in 22 mag and 10/22 ) and the 270 and 338 need sighting in - new scope and mounts - I'll bring the chrony too - hope to see you there. I have a little mdical issue to take care of - only thing that will stop me from being there.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77 SA in 257 Roberts will accept cartridges to a max of 2.98", but it depends on the bullet. With some bullets the depth to the rifling is shorter then the magazine box length. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim B - hope you read this - the Swan creek range will not be open for another two weeks - they are installing roofs over three of the lines - in Alabama that is a good thing and worth the wait.