THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Extending 09 Argentine bottom metal mag box length

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extending 09 Argentine bottom metal mag box length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ordered a MK X McMillan stock for my BRNO ZG 47 with part Mk X inlet.

The bottom metal inlet is a perfect match for an Argentine 09 bottom metal but not the Mk X and certainly not the BRNO (both would require a lot of glassing)

The trouble is that the mag box on the 09 is too short for this 30-06 which is very long throated indeed.

Is there any way to modify the O9 to take the longer ZG box, spring and follower or any other fix for this?

Sending the stock back is not really an option given the 20 week wait and tax hassles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can open up the action and and lenthen the box on the 09...That isn't much of a job.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
You can open up the action and and lenthen the box on the 09...That isn't much of a job.

Buy a triggerguard assy. for an Interarms Mark X
with the in-the-bow release and a Brownell's
agraglas gel kit.

The triggerguard will require a little recontouring of the feeding ramp, and the acraglas gel will take care of everything else.

Finish with a little added paint on the stock.

It will look better than it ever did!

Try auction arms for the guard.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi: I had a similar problem with my 1909 Argentine magazine box...it all depends on how much more room you need... a top notch gunsmith solved my problem & lenthened the box by milling excess metal off the inside of the
box on both ends...gave me more space & worked just fine. That's an easy solution, if you can get away with the
amount removed on the inside ends. Worked for me.
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done it both ways, weld a extention on the front and remill to match a charles daly receiver and just thinned both sides. It's not that big of a job. Here's the set up I use for the front.
-Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
I had an FW heym intermediate length action that had been opened up to handle a .270 and it was acconplished by simply cutting the forward corners of the mag well and bending it forward. Easy, simple and it worked great.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really don't want to have 1/4" of glass as I don't want to paint the stock.

Wondered if somehow the mag box of an 09 could be cut off and the ZG box (pressed steel seperate to bottom metal) used.

The ZG box box is about 0.15" longer

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
I ordered a MK X McMillan stock for my BRNO ZG 47 with part Mk X inlet.

The bottom metal inlet is a perfect match for an Argentine 09 bottom metal but not the Mk X and certainly not the BRNO (both would require a lot of glassing)

The trouble is that the mag box on the 09 is too short for this 30-06 which is very long throated indeed.

Is there any way to modify the O9 to take the longer ZG box, spring and follower or any other fix for this?

Sending the stock back is not really an option given the 20 week wait and tax hassles.

I think I understand that you have 1909 bottom metal, and want it to be longer, like the MK X.

If that's the case, I'll trade you a Mark X bottom metal for the 1909, if it's in good shape.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
1894, why don't you open the stock to accept the factory ZG bottom metal? It is one of the best things about the ZG.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mag box is longer but the metal is smaller allround so there is too big a gap in the inletting (in my opinion) for glassing without it looking a real Bubba job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

I think I understand that you have 1909 bottom metal, and want it to be longer, like the MK X.

If that's the case, I'll trade you a Mark X bottom metal for the 1909, if it's in good shape.

KB

Unfortunately it's the other way round. The Mk X is too small, the 09 fits perfectly in the inletting but needs a bigger mag box. So really I need 09 bottom metal (to match the inletting) with a larger box....

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Yes, I understand. After my posting, I was thinking about it, and realized I may have been confused.

I have a similar problem with a stock that I want to use very much, and I don't have the correct magazine. My problem is easier to solve, because I don't need the longer box length, since the rifle is barreled in 8x57, but I do need the mil spec tang in front of the front guard screw. The 1909 unit would fit perfectly.

I was talking to Mr. Blackburn a few days ago, and he said he planned on making some #9 magazines next run. But, be advised that the wait time is often longer than he predicts. The sunny hill will work too if you just have to have one now.

http://www.blackburnmachine.com/254768.html

I know they are expensive, but they sure are nice, and I think it will solve your problem. The tang in front of the front guard screw is very close to mil spec or longer, and the box is a little wider than standard.

Anyway, a call to him is the best way to know for sure.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote