New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a 'smith to do a .458 WM on a 1917 Enfield
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
One of our customers called today and wants to re-barrel his already sportered 1917 Enfield in .30-06 to .458. Anyone here want to tackle it? PM me if interested. I think the rear bridge has already been ground down. Still has the belly. I think all he wants is the re-barrel and feeding/bolt alterations.

Thanks,

Bob.

Posts: 3778 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ER Shaw might be able to help. They will rebarrel a P17 and as I recall they will modify for magnum cartridges or something like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I will check into that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McGowen barrels used to also, not sure if they still do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
cut to the chase done!

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Douglas installs barrels, of course; been doing it since 1948.
Visit their web site and read about it; they literally have 193 reamers/calibers that they install.
And their barrels will be infinitely better than those new makers. I thought you were looking for someone on AR to do the work. (I don't have that reamer)

Posts: 17271 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was interested in an AR person but no one replied. This is good 'cause I can give the fellow some options.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Douglas installs barrels, of course; been doing it since 1948.
Visit their web site and read about it; they literally have 193 reamers/calibers that they install.
And their barrels will be infinitely better than those new makers. I thought you were looking for someone on AR to do the work. (I don't have that reamer)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Russ, I'll pass it on!

quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
cut to the chase done!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have 1 or 2 straightened bottom/trigger guard if you need them. I have Wiebe bottoms on my 2 enfields. No charge except shipping.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson, Plains, Mt. will do that for you..Several on AR can do that work, Duane Wiebe, DPCD, and others. Im doing one as we speak, cock on the opening, custom trigger, new bolt handle and 3 pos safety etc. I will do the stock either reshape and refininish the wood or make a new stock?? The enfields are worth doing one right..I personally like the bolt handle and factory safety on the enfields..they work well indeed..

the action is large enough for any big bore caliber, Id at least recommend a 458 Lott and it will shoot 458 win..also.

LOts of folks and companies can bebore or rebarrel the gun, but not all of them will work the action to feed and function..you need that..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote