Find
Notify
Tools

Making front sight taller
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
What is a good way to highten the front sight on my Swedish Krag rifle. Right now it hits about a foot high at 100 yards so I wanted to add metal to it and file it down to zero in. It has the "squat peromid" shape so adding enough to file it into a blade desighn would be nice.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
If you or someone you know are good with an Oxy-Acetelene torch you can braze a large bead of brass to the rear of the front sight. You can then file it to the correct shape and height. I have done this many times to 98 Mausers with good results.
Good Luck

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I believe the Williams Gunsight Corp has a chart which gives the amount of correction required based on the location (ie., +1 foot) of the point of impact and the distance between the front and rear sight. This info will tell you how much higher your front sight will have to be.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
The amount you want the POI to move times sight radius divided by the range in inches.

Courtesy of Jack Belk

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote