New
Find
Notify
Tools

93-96 Mauser Fun Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Pawnshop find, Bubba-rized 95 Mauser... Still, it has potential and I want to have some fun with it.
Where can I find hinged floorplate, trigger guard, bottom metal or, failing that, what existing bottom metal can be reasonably modified to work?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
years ago i had a 96 that had been converted to 257 roberts. i made a hinge assembly and used a top lever from an old singleshot shotgun to convert the original bottom metal.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the 'intermediate' length receiver and 1898 intermediate-length bottom metal will fit fine. But something tells me that you won't want to spend the big bux for this project, there are some other alternatives.

There are several designs of Spanish-issue hinged FPs with different hinges and latches. Some are relatively attractive while others are butt-ugly. I have used 1909 issue FPs with these Spanish TGs by enlarging the Spanish slot to take the wider 1909 hinge tongue and that improved things A LOT! Sorry no photo but will take some later.

I shortened the forward section of a 1909 TG by welding, to fit my Swede, and it worked well.

These little actions can be fun and fairly versatile, you can even fit a replacement 1898 intermediate-length bolt and striker assembly if wanted(but not to the Swede, it's an oddball).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of one of the Spanish TGs with a 1909 FP installed. You can see where I drilled a new tongue hinge pin hole for the 1909 hinge tongue. The larger tongue really makes a difference, and you could even use a straddle FP if wanted.

Yes, the cross-latch isn't the most desirable shape but it was AVAILABLE!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote