New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 70 feed problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After much fiddling I have figured out that my feed problem with my new Safari Express 416 rem mag is that the bottom of the bolt face is finished off with a very sharp edge. This edge is gouging the brass of the top round in the magazine and jamming the bolt from going forward. Is it safe to just touch the edge up with a file?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I'll bet there is more going on than just a rough bolt face. I suggest you use a dremel tool with a cratex abrasive on it and polish the bottom of the bolt. Look at the bottom of the extractor and see if there are any burrs. Don't take too much off, just polish it. Stay away from this area with a file. Once you have done this watch how the cartridge rides up the boltface and how and where the rim snaps up under the extractor. Is the cartridge binding on the rails anywhere paying particular attention to the belt. If so mark the spot and polish it also.?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,
I touched it up with a file when I got home this evening, just a few passes and it took the sharp edge off, now the gun feeds empty cases from a full magazine. Good advice on polishing the bottom of the bolt, I will do this too to slick things up. It is obvious that zero handwork was done on the bolt after machining, the edge was so sharp it was cutting a little curl of brass from the cases.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote