New
Find
Notify
Tools

refinishing Remington with plastic forend
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to refinish at least one Remington stock with plastic forend and grip cap. I use a finish that Jack Belk talked about long ago. I've done a few stocks with this finnish but have not had to deal with plastic on any of them. So do you just finish over the plastic like you would the wood or should I mask off the plastic and just finish up to it. I think that it would be better to to cover the plastic with the oil finish if it will stick. Also can the plastic be lightly sanded. I was thinking using a very fine paper maybe 1200 or 1500 grit. Thanks for any help Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've finished plastic forend tips and grip caps just like they were part of the rest of the stock, applying the finish right over the plastic. I've also finished right up to the plastic and then just sand or polish the plastic to the desired finish. Just carefully mask off either the wood or the plastic. As long as you're going the trouble of sanding and refinishing you might consider ditching the plastic and replacing it with ebony, (or other exotic) it will can definately add a touch of class to an otherwise ordinary stock.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote