THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    M-70 Featherweight conversions advise: 22-250 or 308 for 257 Bob? 30-06 ok for 7x57?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-70 Featherweight conversions advise: 22-250 or 308 for 257 Bob? 30-06 ok for 7x57?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which caliber of short action M70 classic would work best for converting to 257 Roberts: 22-250 or 308 based catridge? Any feeding modifications necessary? Would a standard length 30-06 based cartridge convert easily to 7X57? Any feeding modifications necessary for this one?

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

Which caliber of short action M70 classic would work best for converting to 257 Roberts: 22-250 or 308 based catridge? Any feeding modifications necessary?

If you were going to 250-3000, I'd think hard about finding a 22-250, but if you're going to Bob, I think any 308-based case will work with little feeding modifications. HOWEVER, CRF (I presume that's what you are talking about) can be finicky about round changes. So, get some Bob shells and give it a try before barreling - at least you can get an idea of what you're looking at around the mag-to-extractor exchange. The modifications will vary from gun to gun...

quote:

Would a standard length 30-06 based cartridge convert easily to 7X57? Any feeding modifications necessary for this one?

This would likely require some work (again, assuming a 70 CRF action). I'd go with a 280 and be done with it, shouldn't require any feeding work...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 06 sized action should work fine

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote