New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stove piping
 Login/Join

<Hunter - DownUnder>
posted
I was out shooting (see australian hunting ) last week, using an M96 6.5x55. I attempted to feed a round into the chamber and had a "stove-pipe" jam.
The cases were handloaded, Speer spitzers out front and certainly don't exceed the maximum OAL (they are about 1/8" shorter than the 156gn military ammo)
The jam had to be cleared by pushing the base of the cartridge back into the magizine and back towards the stock. Thecase then re-fed without issue.

I tend to put anywhere between 70 -150 rounds through this rifle using this load, every trip and I have had maybe three or four of these jams in the last 12 months (about 500 rounds).

Any ideas? I know that CRF's are supposed to feed very well and most of the time this one does. Is it acceptable for this to happen or am I doing something wrong... Feedback appreciated as always.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check if the case mouth isn't chatching on the edge of the feed ramp. Maybe with having shorter bullets this load is chatching there.
Ray

Posts: 147 | Location: Maryland, USofA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever work on the feed rails?? Sound to me like the cartridge is jumping out too soon. Someone could have made the rails too wide. The cartridges pops up too soon and misses the extractor. Hmmm... How is the tension on the mag spring??? It might be weak. Very hard to diagnose over the net. Hard enough in person. : ) My advice is to swap out the spring for sure. If your follower had been modified put in a new one. If the rails are altered, that would do it for sure. They worked fine as manufacturd. The tollerances for positive functioning are pretty tight. Need to think hard before the Dremmel tool get tured on.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
3 or 4 of these jams in the past 12 months at 70 to 150 rounds an outing! I wouldn't worry about it.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote