New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammo or??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i have a little kimber17 hunter in 17 hm2. most of my ammo is ely - the thing works well but every so often it keyholes. i've checked the barrel and the crown is fine. anyone have an idea or is it the ammo? the report of the rifle is the same whether it keyholes or not.got me stumped

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

You would have to check the rate of twist. Some makers compromised stability with slow twist rates to improve velocity and accuracy. To stabilize those little flies you need a 1-9 twist rate. Put a tight patch on a cleaning rod and mark the top dead center of the rod and where the rod enters the muzzle. Then push it down until the top dead center mark comes to top dead center again and mark at the muzzle again. Pull it out and measure between the two marks and that will tell you your rate of twist. Roughly.
Try some different ammo. Which is going to be very hard to find.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am going to take a guess here.

It is the ammo, and the ones that keyhole are at lower velocity than the others.

I get this quite often when developing subsonic ammo.

There is a cut off velocity, below which the bullet will hit the target at an angle.

If you go further down in velocity, it becomes a keyhole.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote